Land Speed XS400

You know if I do the twin engine thing, I'll have a titled stock roller for sale. Maybe 2 as I'll build the whole frame, not needing to title it for racing. Both clean '81s, one needs side covers and paint on the tank, the other is almost mint black special.

dan, im not sure how the ECTA will look at dual engines, not sure if they will consider if youll fall under OHC twin or not. either way youll be in the 1000cc class

Then a big bore will be in order, and the crank phasing on a 400 might be a PIA to phase motors together. I'd rather do all that to a 650. Available big bore kits, crank phasing as been proven... Or maybe I'll just do a single motor turbo/EFI and race on the cheap for fun, that's what this was supposed to be about anyway. I don't want to play politics with ECTA, just wanna go fast!

Wow Aaron. Whatever engine configuration you decide on, this will be a sweet build. :thumbsup:
You're right up the road from me. I may have to come check it out in the flesh.

I brought this for my bike

22032010179.jpg

22032010180.jpg

22032010181.jpg

smallest (cheapest) one I could find
Its of a 600cc Fortwo Smart Car

Wow, that looks like a great idea and such a tiny turbo! I should hope you get to a "How To" thread on forced induction as that's one of my goals without a doubt. I'll be following this thread very closely.

I drive a turbo miata. Turbos aren't too challenging to figure out, as long as you can do your own exhaust and intake piping. It just won't necessarily be pretty...

nice, that will fit.

Are you getting a waste gate too?

The turbo actually has an internal wastegate on the exhaust housing but the exhaust housing is part of the smart cars 3cyl exhaust manifold so I have to cut and weld a bit.

Im just doing more research now about what carbs would be best to use.
From all reports these turbos dont like draw through and there is a lot of info on blow through Ive found

Ill start a thread to pool info on this topic as Im sure many people will be interested

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?p=83267#post83267

hey guys! just wanted to keep ya all in the loop. this project is not dead. i have been going to machining school, and getting my shop set up. now have logan lathe, tree mill from sprocketwerx, frame jig is almost 100% done, garage is insulated, just gotta throw some OSB on the walls, wire it up, and get the tube bender functioning.

coming soon to a track near you. im not dead, just been working my but off at the new job. the xs400 is in the frame jig. going with a modified stock frame.

So is it a stock frame, or is it modified? ;)

I used to judge car shows, and nothing irked me more than the owners of cars entered in stock classes that were modified. They used to whine like spoiled brats when points were deducted for mods... :wtf:

pics coming soon. here are where we are at. This bike was my first motorcycle. got her when i was 16 and immedietly started drag racing it. had 1500 original miles on her, added about another 150 miles a pass at a time. ran a best of 14.89 at 89mph. Fast forward a few years and i started strippin her down. the frame was originally modified by Tigman. Original plan was a street fighter/cafe but things came and went, life happened,etc. I feel i need to get this project done before i mess with any of my other bikes. PLan is LSR/cafe//dragbike thing. So here will be the build sheet:

1981 Frame, modified
XS650 swingarm
Very narrow 19 inch rims, front and rear
XR100 forks
Old steel dirtbike tank, unknown brand
Custom headers, mid mount
Mid or rear sets
Very narrow drag bars
Hopefully pics by this weekend.

Hey Aaron, Just noticed you're in my neck of the woods.:cheers: I live in Centerburg, just south of Mt. Vernon! Where do you run your bike?

Back