me and my bike

sicncrazy5150

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hello i'm new here. I have a 77 xs400 i got last summer off craigslist for $300 and rode it 50 miles home with no troubles and rode it 20 miles to and from work every day till it got to cold to ride now i'm building a brat style bobber going to extend the swing arm and use lower shocks change the tank and some other stuff right now i'm trying to hunt down a points cover for it when i got it there was not one there other than that every thing is there and works good

Attachments

• DSC00082.JPG
    DSC00082.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 302
That thing is sweet, with an extended swingarm it will be down right nasty!
Welcome

Anyone ever put louvers in those side covers, or cut out out some of the inside and throw some wire in there? It would pretty cool.

Anyone ever put louvers in those side covers, or cut out out some of the inside and throw some wire in there? It would pretty cool.
I was just going to run without mine and just have the pods show but I kinda like the idea of cutting out the center and putting in a nice 1/4 inch screen or similar. Might look pretty good.

I was thinking about louvers on the side cover look, I think it would look bitchin.

my first thought was louvers on the gas tank but after some thinking I came to the conclusion that that would be problematic...

just made these bars today i like them. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 233
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 232
  • Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 223
It would have been better to angle the square tubing out a little IMHO.

are you going to paint or chrome them?

looks good though

just made these bars today i like them. What do you guys think?

It is a valiant attempt; however, it looks like you don't have extensive welding experience, so just make sure you crank your welder all the way up and get good penetration. Sometimes even when you think you've fused your pieces together all the way, you haven't. Good luck!

I think the right train of thought is there, just could have been executed a little better. No offense though!! I would lose the square tubing and just do the same style with thick flat stock....Check it....

Attachments

• 550d66a4.jpg
    550d66a4.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 217
the welds look crapy do in part to to much wiskey and not realizing the argon gas was not on l'm going to try it again when I get home before I suck down some more wiskey and check the gas on the welder

I'm digging them. I would lean them back toward the rider a little though instead of straight up but awesome idea.maybe soften the edges a little?

Last edited:
yah not real pretty but i respect your idea and your attempt to execute. i have built a lot of things i wasn't impressed with. keep it up! i kinda like the little ape hangers in the first pic. these bikes are so small i may try a pair of those just cause they stretch your arms out a little.

i cut my rear fender brackets off twice before i decided i liked them. so don't get discouraged.

less whisky might help but sometimes the increased whisky creativity overules the sloppy execution. were just having fun anyway right?

Back