Mine...if I can get it to start!

Do you have a manual? If not you can download one right on here,or I'll sell you one that I got thinking it would cover my DOHC model. It's a good manual with pics by Yamaha.I'll sell it for $15 shipped. lha

I downloaded the manual from here awhile back lha, thanks though!

alright, so I've checked the timing and everything looks good (if I read the manual instructions and everything correctly that is.) I'm still having the same problem where one side is pulling a lot harder than the other. Before it was the right side that was pulling hard and I did a drastic adjustment so now the left side is pulling. Problem is, whenever I adjust toward the center of the two extremes it idles down super low and cuts out. When it does idle really low, if I give it gas it cuts out too. I'm kind of at a loss where to go from here.

Forgot to mention -- This is with the choke closed. If I open the choke half way it revs up to about 4k RPM, when I close it, goes down to about 1.0k-1.2k. I didn't try opening the choke all the way. I dunno what to do. I wanna get her running well so I can start riding!

Check the throttle cable for correct adjustment. There should be about .5-1mm slack at the throttle[on bars],then with the intake off,look at the butterflies and adjust for opening at the same time.Then you can use the manometer method to synchronize the carbs. lha

Psuedo, right. I'll flip the bike on and warm it up before I start doing anything. I'll see if I can get the idle steady around 1.5-2.0k.

lha, I'll double check the throttle cable tension. It feels fine though and feels like there is some slack in it but I'll double check it. When I had the carbs off the day before yesterday to clean them again I double checked the butterflies and tried to eyeball the butterflies to an approximate even position before I put the carbs back on.

Will mess around with it more this afternoon. Oh yeah. Something I wanted to get answered. The exhaust question I had posted earlier. I get lots of air from the right side but almost none from the left side. I've checked the exhaust for holes/leaks and there doesn't seem to be any. I know the left side is getting spark and the cylinder is firing. Is this normal? To have one side pushing out more exhaust than the other?

You should adjust your valves, or at least make sure they are in spec, before attempting to sync. One reason that you could get more exhaust out one side than the other is compression, but check the valves before worrying about that.

Sounds to me like you are running lean. What are your idle mixture screws set at?

If it idles low when the sync is closer to even, then turn the idle up to about 1200rpm, I just set mine between 1200 and 1300...what's 50 rpm between friends?

Sooooo... I think I found my problem...

IMG_0468.jpg

The tip is buried in the little hole right under where the needles screw in.. it's broken off flush with the bottom of that little cavity....

so.. I can't get the tip out and it's wedged in there really tight. I've read a few threads and enlarging that hole is a bad idea... so I don't want to pound something down from the top into the carb, right? would my best bet be just to get a new carb body?

Last edited:
So... anyone know where I can get new carbs? :banghead::cussing:

Another thought too.. as I'm sitting here looking for new carb bodies to no avail... will similar sized carbs work okay? IE a newer model mikuni 34?

Alright, so I got lucky... my girlfriend does models for a hobby and she has a dremel. Good way to get these buggers out is with a dremel and a very small drill bit (one the same size as the hole or smaller). Worked like a charm. The holes aren't any bigger and I was able to drill out the brass that was stuck inside.

By the way, I wanted to thank everyone for all the help you've given me. You've all been wonderful!

Last edited:
I dont know where my mind was, when I first read that, I thought it said, my girlfriend does Models for a hobby, I guess I was out of context ;) hahahaha :laugh:

Since I need new idle mixture screws, anyone know where I can get them? I also haven't been able to find a definite answer on what model the carbs are on the stock xs 400. Mikuni BS34s?

from bikebandit the part number was

that is what i got and they work
but they around $22 each

Back