Mine...if I can get it to start!

I rode my XS for the first time today! It just so happened to be the first time I've ever ridden a motorcycle as well.:laugh:

All the hard work paid off though.

It-was-beautiful!

:bike: Congrats, I am with you! I rode mine once, then drewpy told me that my front sprocket was f*cked, I have uped the tooth count to 17, and should be here Next tuesday :( Check you out later!

So now that the XS is up and running.. I'm going to tear it apart. Bahaha! That's okay though, it will be a fun project. I'm not quite sure what I want to do with it yet. It definitely needs new wiring though so that will be my first step. I just want to get everything off there anyway so I can do some visualization with just the frame and such.

Things I plan on doing so far

Install new VM32 carbs that are sitting in garage
-balance/tune
-crank case breather pod filter

New exhaust
-Headpipe wrapping
-New mufflers

New footpegs

New seat/rear fairing

Paint stripping gas tank, air filter covers, frame/sanding/priming

Painting
Color scheme TBD

Rewiring
-Fuse box/fuse harness
-New wire

Cut down front fender or find some way to stabilize front fender to keep it from "vibrating"

I'm sure a lot more will come into this list as I go along. I haven't checked everything over in the engine yet so there might be some work there. Those of you that have followed this thread know that I'm a newbie to this stuff so it's going to be quite a project, but it'll be awesome fun.

Also, anyone know a good way to clean out a fuel tank? There are chunkies in it :<

Last edited:
Mrmaxstorey has a youtube channel to familiarize you with basic motorcycle repairs. It's worth watching them all

Here's tank cleaning:

regards

Drewcifer

Thanks Drewcifer. I don't have any rust in my tank, just some sand inside that's stuck in the corners and such from sandblasting. Don't wanna go dumping a bunch of bolts and stuff inside. The inside looks like it's been coated before and still looks in good condition.

stick a jet wash inside to flush the sand out.

I know of some peeps who wrap the tank up and put it in a cement mixer with some solvent in there. leave it turning for an hour or so.

stick a jet wash inside to flush the sand out.

I know of some peeps who wrap the tank up and put it in a cement mixer with some solvent in there. leave it turning for an hour or so.

a clothes dryer will also work, if your family cement mixer is full of cement. just wrap the tank really well and don't bother with the heat.

go one further and use a ferris wheel, hours of fun and frolic's

"Ummm, sir.. what are you doing with that gas tank?"
"No worries. Just cleaning it up a bit. Cheers!" :laugh:

haha!

New mufflers should be here today. Finally got the 6 layers of paint stripped off the gas tank... well most of it anyway. There are just a couple spots left here and there.

Throttle cable came for the new carbs but it was a garbage cable. I can't seem to find this darn cable anywhere. (Need a 2 in 1 throttle cable for Mikuni VM32 roundslides)

Still need to get some of the electrical components. Anyone had experience changing out the contact points for electric? (Voltage reg). Worth it? Easy? Too difficult to deal with?

Opened up the crank case, all looks well inside thankfully. Actually it looks great inside. Looks surprisingly clean.

Can't say the same for the sprocket/clutch case. The grease in there is totally rancid. Is the best way to clean that out just to wipe it all down or is degreaser okay to use, rinse, let dry then regrease?

I was thinking about changing the front or rear sprocket to drop the engine RPMs a little at top end speeds. I want to ride to work but the daily flow of traffic is usually around 70MPH+ in the HOV lanes (which I can use to get almost all the way to the office). Any thoughts on this?

All in all the project is coming along nicely. I've decided to wait until this season is over to start on the wiring and everything. I'll use the winter to do a major overhaul or something. We'll see how it all plays out.

I used Degreaser, and gas to get that clean, (Greasey Clutch Chain Grease etc...)(no smoking rule applies) (No Open flames) Not on rubber gaskets, but its fine on the metal, and then here in Hennepin County I can take my contaminated gas/oils for free to the local county hazmat recycle center. Okay I did also try the power washer too.

My Front sprocket got here today, I might just out there now and replace it. upgrading to 17T (from 16T) Yea, I am going to get some coffee, and get ur Done!

which mufflers did you end up with?

Well mates, my XS is toast for the time being. I was cruising down the road when some dumb c*nt decided to make a left turn across the street in front of me and well.. I T-boned her car. My front forks are bent pretty bad... far enough that when I turn the handle bars the tire hits the headpipes. Handle bars are stripped in the holders, my brand new exhaust pipes are dented to hell on the left side, front rim is bent and so on.

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

Remember kids, always wear your helmet. If I hadn't been my face would be smeared across a car frame right now.

Yep, bumps and bruises for now. Hopefully something doesn't crop up in the next few days. The gal went to jail though because she doesn't have a license, had 3 little kids in the car, car had no name on the title and none of them were wearing seat belts. Fortunately she does have insurance though so I might be able to fund an XS repair project :D

Back