Miss riding my bike

If we ever get a day in the 40`s and my bike will start You can bet your azz Im going for a ride.

Btw Ironhead I lived out in Az for 3 years the winters were great out there I misss them alot.The summers sucked though 9 months of over 110* weather or hotter.Then I moved up this fridged place in 1999 summers are nice ,winter time sucks unless you like to go ice fishing,ride snowmobiles and ski if we get enough snow.Last year was mild if I would have had a bike I could have rode almost all winter.Alot of people did.Theres alot of people with Bikes in this city with 45K

If we ever get a day in the 40`s and my bike will start You can bet your azz Im going for a ride...
If the sun is out too, my threshhold is 39F. But I only ride for recreation, which means I can change my mind after 2 minutes, turn back, get all the layers off and not be late to anything. I think people get in trouble when, in marginal conditions, they ride a bike to an appointment, or to someplace like work where delay is not an option.
... Theres alot of people with Bikes in this city with 45K
I ran into a guy with a mid-80s BMW - well over 300k. Are we pikers or bikers?

If the sun is out too, my threshhold is 39F. But I only ride for recreation, which means I can change my mind after 2 minutes, turn back, get all the layers off and not be late to anything. I think people get in trouble when, in marginal conditions, they ride a bike to an appointment, or to someplace like work where delay is not an option.
I ran into a guy with a mid-80s BMW - well over 300k. Are we pikers or bikers?

Neither Im a recreational Bike rider LOL.I ride for the enjoyment not cause its my only form of transportation Thank God.I knew someone that wrode in snow,sleet,rain,sun anything cause a bike was all they had.Oh that was me when I was younger and it was a peddle bike not a motorbike:bow:

Neither Im a recreational Bike rider LOL. I ride for the enjoyment not cause its my only form of transportation Thank God. I knew someone that wrode in snow,sleet,rain,sun anything cause a bike was all they had. Oh that was me when I was younger and it was a peddle bike not a motorbike:bow:
Thank God indeed. Maybe if we were deep in the heart of Texas. But this time of year, being near the Lakes is not so Great. Nice to have a "cage" if you really have to get somewhere.
OOOOH what a drag its is getting old :doh:
But if you can remember your peddle bike you can't really be that old :wink2:

Thank God indeed. Maybe if we were deep in the heart of Texas. But this time of year, being near the Lakes is not so Great. Nice to have a "cage" if you really have to get somewhere.
But if you can remember your peddle bike you can't really be that old :wink2:

I dont know define old?My impression is when it hurts everyday to get out of bed and takes half the day to get functioning your old.As the saying says your only as old as you feel.IM middle age and I feel old but not all the time just half of it LOL.

ANYHOW on a good note,The motorcycle lives once more,she fired up today.Some heat on the crankcase to warm up the oil,a little starting fluid and a freshly charged battery VAROOM!
Im half tempted to put on 6 layers and go for ride.:yikes:I got to get those crabs out of the carbs

Last edited:
I dont know define old?My impression is when it hurts everyday to get out of bed and takes half the day to get functioning your old.As the saying says your only as old as you feel.IM middle age and I feel old but not all the time just half of it LOL.
I hear you. The one thing about being old enough to not go to work every day, is not having to go to work every day. :D Half the day to feel old and get warmed up. Once I am riding the bike though, I don't feel old or even middle aged - until it slips below 39 or the sun slips behind a cloud.
ANYHOW on a good note,The motorcycle lives once more,she fired up today.Some heat on the crankcase to warm up the oil, a little starting fluid and a freshly charged battery VAROOM!
They have electric underwear - you would think they could invent a block heater for xs400s ....
Im half tempted to put on 6 layers and go for ride.:yikes:
Keep your eyes peeled for the dark clouds bringing lake-effect off Lake Michigan.

I hear you. The one thing about being old enough to not go to work every day, is not having to go to work every day. :D Half the day to feel old and get warmed up. Once I am riding the bike though, I don't feel old or even middle aged - until it slips below 39 or the sun slips behind a cloud.
They have electric underwear - you would think they could invent a block heater for xs400s ....
Keep your eyes peeled for the dark clouds bringing lake-effect off Lake Michigan.

I layered up took it for a ride for about 19 minutes.Temp wise it wasnt bad at 34* but whatever is in the carb wont blow out but it did gain a little more power as I rode it.Thing is I felt like I was riding on a moped it wont go over 30 mph. :bike:

louRanger I live on the other side of the state at the southern end of lake huron.We do get pounded once in a while from lake affects. :yikes:
Lake Huron? Even better. We are not immune on the east side this time of year either. :wink2:
There's nothing better in the summer than Michigan and Huron, but in the fall I'm terribly envious of the "continental" climate just west of them.

So this is now turned into the Michigan weather thread:offtopic:

Anyway Its supposed to be sunny today High lower to mid 30`s If I can get the bike to fireup Im going for a ride and hopefully blow the carbs out.I rode for about 20 minutes yesterday it wasnt that bad and it was only 34* for the high.:yikes:
I just wish the poor thing didnt have spend the nights outside in 20* weather.It wont be for much longer though she`ll be getting moved inside.

So this is now turned into the Michigan weather thread :offtopic:
Anyway Its supposed to be sunny today High lower to mid 30`s If I can get the bike to fireup Im going for a ride and hopefully blow the carbs out ...
:hellno:The title of the thread is "Miss riding my bike".
So, what's causing it? Right. Michigan (and, by extension, southern Ont.) weather. :cussing:
If the reason you were missing riding was electrical gremlins, we'd be all over them Gremlins... :wink2:
This beloved FORUM exists (partly) to inspire (and perhaps to amuse - during the winter anyway). You have inspired me to look out the window and see only 40% cloud cover. Combine that with a forecast of 36F (I'm at 1,100 ft ASL - damn the uplift around the rim of the Michigan Basin), and I think I can layer up and make it to the coffee shop. Won't go through the drive-through and eat in the parking lot today though. :eek:
Thanks!

:hellno:The title of the thread is "Miss riding my bike".
So, what's causing it? Right. Michigan (and, by extension, southern Ont.) weather. :cussing:
If the reason you were missing riding was electrical gremlins, we'd be all over them Gremlins... :wink2:
This beloved FORUM exists (partly) to inspire (and perhaps to amuse - during the winter anyway). You have inspired me to look out the window and see only 40% cloud cover. Combine that with a forecast of 36F (I'm at 1,100 ft ASL - damn the uplift around the rim of the Michigan Basin), and I think I can layer up and make it to the coffee shop. Won't go through the drive-through and eat in the parking lot today though. :eek:
Thanks!

I was kidding around about the weather thread thing.Sorry I should have said LOL.No need to cuss here.I didnt meen to offend anyone.

Anyway I have come to the conclusion on why my bike is acting up.Crabs in the carbs and valve lash adjustment is needed.
The carbs will be gone through very soon so the crabs will be gone and an inline filter also.The valve lash doing it soon also.
Last but not least the weather is too dam cold to ride sorta,I have road it twice when highs have been in the 30`s the weather is stopping me yet.

I was kidding around about the weather thread thing. Sorry I should have said LOL. No need to cuss here.
Hope you didn't think I was cussing you. You are my inspiration after all. :thumbsup:
Can you actually look me in the eye (through the frost on my helmet visor) and tell me you haven't cursed the Michigan weather the last few days?
Let's hit the road. My thermometer just hit 35!

Hope you didn't think I was cussing you. You are my inspiration after all. :thumbsup:
Can you actually look me in the eye (through the frost on my helmet visor) and tell me you haven't cursed the Michigan weather the last few days?
Let's hit the road. My thermometer just hit 35!

Im Thawing out the bike as we speak,I have a heater on the crankcase to warm up the oil.
Yesterday when I rode I didnt even wear my googles and even at 34* it wasnt bad.:thumbsup:
Im waiting for the frost to melt and hopefully by noon or so I`ll be on the road riding.
Looks like mother nature is going to be nice and give us 40something to 50* by the weekend.
So when I thought riding season was over turned out its not at least for now.Beyond next week who knows.

Sorry about the misunderstanding Its easy to do online :)Ride on :bike:

Well now that my bike has been put away for winter Im definately going to have the riding blues and will miss riding it.Now I have time and look forward into making some improvements and catching up on things that need attention.

Well its now April 12th winter is still trying to hang on but the tide is starting to turn a little.I fired my bike up the 1st a few days ago whenwe had a brief warmish spell.Now im realy anxious to get on the road with it.Just as Im getting it ready to get back on the road the weather turns nasty again with 5-6 inches of rain over the last 3 days.Its been cold again in the 30`s.This weather sucks I want to ride but i dont want to freeze either.I think its supposed to warm up briefly over the weekend and may get my chance.Then again the following week were supposed to have a chance of rain for another 5 days.:banghead:Makes me wonder why i ever moved back up to this place,The older i get the more i hate living here.:mad:Sorry I know this responce sounds negative guess i need some light therapy.this doomy gloomy weather is getting me down.

Back