MPG

I've been getting 48.355mpg(US) on 87 octane, 48.123 on 89 and 48.481 on 93. I was mostly curious when I found that my car gets ~4% better on 89.

i just did a ride around the lake i live on. did 112 miles on 1.8 gallons of fuel. thats about 62 miles to the gallon. mine also crackles and pops on one cylinder, so guess i am running lean cause no one else seems to be getting that good of gas milage. i weigh about 180 and i have the really low drop-down cafe style handle bars. not sure if that would make the difference.

Mine takes about 5.5 liters per 100 km (Yeah I know u guys dont use this kind of measuring but I am too lazy to convert. We dont have any "miles" and "gallons" here.) Go metric!

haha, your speaking my language! I figured my 1980 XS400s was getting 5 or 6 liters per 100Km and that seems to be about the norm for stock 400's glad to see my bike is running in specs after everything I've been through with it haha :bike:

Mine takes about 5.5 liters per 100 km (Yeah I know u guys dont use this kind of measuring but I am too lazy to convert. We dont have any "miles" and "gallons" here.) Go metric!
I am all for metric but not for the Brussels :thumbsdown: way of expressing it!
No trip is 100 kms exactly so I don't care how many litres I need to go 100 kms. I never go 100 kms. :wtf:
I need to know how far I can go with my tank - or a half litre bottle of emergency gas.

Mine's a dohc Maxim with one extra tooth on the front sprocket. I get 21.5 kms/litre, sometimes a touch more.
I weigh 155 plus all the heavy stuff that came with the stock bike - lead battery, centre stand, 2 pipes. = 51 miles/gal (US) :D

C'mon Lou, L/100km makes it easy on our bikes. It takes around 10L to fill the tank if you fill shortly after switching to reserve (or prime depending on your petcock). My bike is averaging around 5L/100km so that gives me a range of approx 200km before hitting reserve. I reset my trip odometer at every fill-up so a quick glace at the trip odometer and I know if I have to head for a gas station or if I can ride further. So for me, that equates to a fill-up every day.

And I've found that once I hit reserve, I can go about another 50 km before running out. Maybe 60 km if I can get the fuel on the right side of the tank to slosh over to the left side. Maybe...

The things I do to further the collective knowledge. You are welcome! ;)

I realy havent got enough riding time in this year to figure it out.Last year while the bike was stock I was getting 40mpg I weigh about 212lbs

... It takes around 10L to fill the tank if you fill shortly after switching to reserve ... that gives me a range of approx 200km before hitting reserve ...
Thanks Dave, for supporting me. As you so ably demonstrate, the human mind wants to think in terms of how far can I get with this fuel. Just like how we budget our money: "I've got "x" dollars, how much can I buy with them?"

And when left to our own devices, that's why we invented (and, for a century we've worried about) miles per gallon. Actually, we may have been worrying about it for nearly 400 years - thanks to our old bud Torricelli :wink2:
And it's why I now worry about kms per litre. I can't think like a French E.C. bureaucrat wants me to think, I just can't.

If I fill up a few kms after switching to reserve, it is with about 11 litres. I get a hair over 21 kms per litre and switch to reserve between 225 and 230.

Last edited:
Are you sure Mark? 310 miles on a tank? That would be 499 km. This doesn't sound right to me. 310 km, or 193 miles, on a tank would be more reasonable. But still exceptionally high...

No, lol, I go about 310# because I'm a fatass American with a typically bad American diet. Trying to change that and on tx. for low T, and I can lose now but it's a struggle. I go about 150 miles or just over/under before I have to switch to reserve.

LOL! That makes more sense!

I'm pleased that my bike is getting around 5L/100km (47MPG US, 56MPG UK, 20km/L) considering I'm 187cm or 6'2" tall and weigh about 86kg or 190 lbs. I also have a large windshield which may or may not help. Considering how I like to twist the throttle... ;)

just bought an 82 xs400 a couple months ago (first bike) and have been riding it like crazy ever since. All the gauges are busted so I have a hard time knowing my gas mileage but I have done a couple test rides so far with full tanks to figure out a range. the first ride was 65 miles with using 1.05 gallons and the second ride (tucking over 40 and using pulse and glide technique as well as in gear coasting down hill) was 112 miles using 1.573 witch comes out to 71 miles per gallon! I don't know much about this bike or if it has been modded at all from stock but I was extremely surprised and pleased with those results. all riding was done in the mountains of southern Vermont on state highways with speeds mostly from 40-55 MPH.

I get right at 60mpg on my daily commute. I have 5 miles of highway that I run at 70-75mph then 3 miles of stop lights at 30mph.
I weigh 200lbs. My bike is pretty light and set up with pods and emgo shorty mufflers.

I must be running 2 rich,I am only getting 42 mile to the gallon, and I have 17tooth front sprocket, (original rear sproket)I have to switch to reserves about 112 miles. Now that I have hit 80 mph, maybe 85. I have been driving it hard, that might not be good for good MPG. I drive 30 miles each way to work, some really decent hills on the highway. and I am 210 5'8", Ever since I seen a spec page stating that our bikes were rated for 105 mph.:rock: Its just not really practical, in my normal pathway to work. I have been thinking about testing out maximum mileage by driving the speed limit, and stop with the Italian tuneup. (WOT) all the way up to the top of the hills. (SOHC) hahaha, I could leave for work on time too haha

Back