1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

My free bike..... anyone know the kit on it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by brandon, Apr 5, 2019.

1. brandon

brandon XS400 New Member

Howdy,
    My name is Brandon and long story short, I ended up with this free bike. Lol
    One of my drivers decided to move away and asked if I wanted it. Dropped off a title, folder full of recipts, and a matching helmet with an adress taped to it.
    Went and picked up this bad boy. 77 xs400 with a old tank and seat kit that I'm hoping someone can tell me what it is. Lol here are some pics.
    Hopefully pics load right.

Attached Files:

2. Someone will respond and let you know . What are first 4 digits of Vin?

In meantime, rest assured we are all heaps jealous and disgusted with your good fortune hahaha

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    brandon likes this.
  3. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend Top Contributor

Bike looks to be a 78 2-E model. Lots of mods and aftermarket stuff. No way of tell for sure who made any of them. What do the receipts say?

4. brandon

brandon XS400 New Member

Its titled as a 77. Who knows if that is right lol
    Recipes go back to around 95 and nothing later.
    Was electric start a factory thing on these?
    Fired up on the 3rd kick then I found the starter button lol

5. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

It’s got an rd fibreglass race kit on it. Cool

brandon likes this.
  6. drewpy

7. brandon

brandon XS400 New Member

Woah. Good looking out man! Wish I had all the kit

8. brandon

brandon XS400 New Member

so little more info. tank and tail section are steel. i cant find any info in steel rd kits so im assuming i have something rare or?

9. FarmBoy72

FarmBoy72 XS400 Enthusiast

Could be custom made by somebody to look like the RD kits? Either way pretty neat. Somebody did all the hard work already. And being titled as a 77, that happened to my 2E, the DMV didn't understand that the tag on the neck says '77 because that's the manufacturing year, but it's actually a '78 model year. like most vehicles, manufactured the year before the model "year".

10. drewpy

Sounds like it, steel or alloy?