my new project/ first bike/81 xs400h

haha thanks man :thumbsup:

extreme measures were tanken to ensure that it looks like a BAMF

lots of inspiration from you guys,

next I want to build a bobber, then a true cafe'....then maybe a tracker/dual sport

I think the next build will be truly LOW buck, i wana see whats possible with home made parts and very little cash (it will tank more time to source parts for sure)

I think im pretty much ready to tear my bike back down to the frame, the rear sets were the only thing I really needed to mock up, I think later in the week ill riper'down and FINALLY finish weld the frame, clean her up real good, paint yada yada yada...

I need to throw a good clean on the engine, recheck the harness and mockup a few goodies like headlight/battery.

votes on some paint for stuff.....(definently red tank with white knee dent...im working off of that), im thinking of painting some of the racey goodies flat black, stuff like rear set brackets and stuff that I want to try and hide in plain sight

1) swingarm?...give it a good clean and leave it in its bare aluminum state? or clean/ beadblast/ prime and paint it flat black? (its effing huge so its almost part of the body work)

2) paint the triples the same flat black?

3) im almost thinking of going nuts and painting the frame a high gloss white...any thoughts? (it will look good against the tan is vinyl im gona use for the seat)

4) rims? im thinking of doing high gloss white again... kinda go with that 70's ferrari theme...or will it just be a total bitch to clean and a PITA?

White is a pain f you're anal about cleaning. I've always heard black was the worst for cars, but every speck and bug shows up on white. Ferrari red and white would look killer though.

Something I am considering is black and gunmetal with light red accents. You can get vht epoxy black and it requires no primer or clear. Pin striping can be used for accents. I am definitely leaning towards truck bed linering the frame, and hitting accents with epoxy gloss black and topping it off with red pinstripes.

I love this sort of theme:

SDC12848.jpg

yeah BC, thats exactly how the rear honda rim is now, gunmetal with the red stripe. not too much of a fan just cause it dosnt go with the vintage racer theme, I was thinking of painting them with that anodized gold look that alot of calipers have, but they look good because they are small....it might not look so great on a whole rim.

the white on the wheels might be too much, I may black out the rims with flat black, I just dont want the white knee dents to look out of place, im really intent on painting them white (partly cause it will hide some body work sins), and im gona put a #27 decal in each, thats the bikes name....number twenty seven....

and PS, im as far as you can get from anal about cleaning, long as its a HIGH gloss white that I can whipe off everyonce in a while...

I have my stupid MCAT test Friday so I am doing nothing. My "break" each day consists of coming on here for a few moments while I pound coffee. I'm studying 12 to 16 hours a day, but it will all be over soon. After that it is game on.

Believe it or not I find studying just as stimulating as, say, working on the bike. The painful part of this is learning all kinds of science I will never use again and don't really care much for. I've been out of college for years now and I need to go back. I only want to take this once too!

Thanks HT, yeah both the brackets and the rear sets will get cleaned up, new hardware and all, I left that bit of edgy bracket on there because it started to rain

You think ill need a chain tensioner?
I think you would be better running one, but that's just me. The distance between sprockets looks LOOONNNGGG, so a tensioner may be needed.

yeah its 4 inches longer than stock, i gave it lots of room to slap on the lower side but you are probably right, I can whip one up no problem if it comes down to it

damn. havent been on here because of vacation, but this thing is so sick. are those lights like truck accessories you get at truck stops? and great job on the tank man, looks great. and careful on the white frame, if your gonna really RIDE this thing, itll get nasty dirty. and cops will know its you from a mile away. lol

thanks volcom,

yeah those lights are made by maxima, and i picked them up at my local trucker store

the white frame idea is only that...and idea, I hate to paint it black and make it boring, but then i dont want to clean it yada yada...

good news!!!

ive got 1 hour left of this MISERABLE co-op job ive been at for the last 4 months, ive got 2 weeks off now then school for the summer... 2 weeks that I will be working on the bike ...OHHHH YYEEEAAAHHHHHH (cool aid dude)

finally talked to my sprocket guy, hes done with it, just needs to ship it out on monday..booyahh

wicked, can't wait to see this one finished up:thumbsup:

Who did you get the offset sprocket from? A buddy of mine needs one for a similar build to yours, 70's Kawi tripple frame morphed with '09 R1

wicked, can't wait to see this one finished up:thumbsup:

Who did you get the offset sprocket from? A buddy of mine needs one for a similar build to yours, 70's Kawi tripple frame morphed with '09 R1

bloody 'ell has he a death wish? they don't call them widow makers for nothing you know:eek:

yup he's one bad mofo on a bike...rides a zx10RR as his daily and has been around the block a few times:D
Correction on the donor.. it's a '09 zx10 not an R1...:doh:
Since both bikes belong to the "FAT TIRE" club here's a pic... Hope ya dig it...:wink2:

008-1.jpg

drewpy-
widow-maker, my dads buddy only rides kaw 750 triples. he just finished a street fighter with some crazy 2 stroke swing arm from your neck of the woods, inverted forks, and it has reed valves and those carbs with the sliders instead of butterflys. but you didnt hear that from me. SHHHHH!!! :D
and sorry for the hijack:hijack:

Hijack all you guys want, if you want to keep putting cool bike on the thread that's fine with me :)

I got the offset sprocket from gary poh, he makes kits for xs650s with fat tires, the splins from the 650 and 400 arnt the same but he had the correct broach for the 400 so he made it. That should come this week sometime :)

Lots of progress! I sandblasted primed and painted the frame today, came out wicked, just need to touch up one spot I bumped with my arm.
2011-05-01_15-36-34_581.jpg

Also painted the swing arm, clipons triples and rearset brackets in saltin black enamel....those came out looking like they are powdrcoated :)

....got the tank done too:thumbsup: the rustoleum sprayed really wellbut I didn't clean the gun properly so when I finished the first 2coats I had to switch to a different gun....and ran it....but its not to bad and should come out when I wetsand it, then ill paint the knee dent white and spray it with some enalmle clear.......ohhhh yeahhhh:D
2011-05-01_15-39-05_428.jpg

Hoping to have a roller by tomorrow night

Back