need help wiring new signal lights

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Bought a new H4 headlight signal light combo from Speed Moto. (just like Rambo814)

I read his how to post, but I really dont get it... There is a set of 2 wires that go from the bike to each signal. ( one black and one grayish brown)
The new signals have 3 wires. red w/stripe, black and one black w/stripe.

I am guessing :

black to black ( ground )

grayish brown to red w/stripe ( power?)

No clue what to do with the extra black w/stripe left over..

WAIT... just followed the original wires back and they change colors...on one side the two wires become via bullet connectors a brown and green. And on the other side they become black and black. i hope this does not add to the confusion....

Attachments

• IMG_20130901_112021_571.jpg
    IMG_20130901_112021_571.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_20130901_112239_929.jpg
    IMG_20130901_112239_929.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=114316&postcount=6

Default Re: Speed Motor Company Headlight Kit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jso123 View Post
Looks a lot better than the original, too. How were the wiring connections? Pretty straight forward?
Thanks! Yeah, everything was pretty simple. Headlight was exactly the same. Turn signals were a little different. Mine had a ground that went under the turn signal mounting nut (assumed to be original). The new ones had 2 wires coming out of the signal itself. Just plugged the signal ground wire into the connector where the original grounds plugged in and the power wire in just as the original signal. The only thing was all of the new bullet connectors were a little smaller than original, so I just squeezed the females down a little.

Looks like he forced the big connector into the small connector

I understand the part about forcing the connectors together....but that's all. I still have no clue if green connects to brown or if black w/stripe needs to get grounded to a screw. I don't know much about reading schematics. I need simple instructions saying what color wires connect together.

I'll call the retailer on Tuesday. He might be able to help me. Thanks

We still have monday.

There is a set of 2 wires that go from the bike to each signal. ( one black and one grayish brown)
The new signals have 3 wires. red w/stripe, black and one black w/stripe.
I am guessing :
black to black ( ground )
grayish brown to red w/stripe ( power?)
No clue what to do with the extra black w/stripe left over..

WAIT... just followed the original wires back and they change colors...on one side the two wires become via bullet connectors a brown and green. And on the other side they become black and black. i hope this does not add to the confusion....

Yellow is High beam
Green is low beam
Chocolate is Left front turn sig
Dark green is Right front turn sig
Black is ground

Remember the Signal light, that tells you the turn light is on, cross grounds. so the chocolate, and the drk green go to the signal ligth, and then to the grounds out at the frame where the turn signal grounds out at. does that make sense? There is a thread that me, and JMD falsely described as success LED, and I think I showed the use of the diode kit, (I might not have posted it, cause it hasn't worked as hoped)

This is just to isolate the turn signal

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/motorcycle-accessories/metric-bike-diode-kit/1190/2805/
so it has 2 red lines, drk green plugs into one, the Chocolate into the other, and then run the ground from the other. you can see the simplfied diagram on there webpage.

Hey, not sure if this helps but....I bought new 3 wire signals for my 83 Maxim. The extra wire was for a running light. I shrink tubed the end and stuffed it back in the signal. As far as I know, the headlight and brakelight have a running light but not the signals.
Be sure to test it...I guessed the first time:shrug: and had to take it all apart :laugh:

Finally got it to work .... Do not understand exactly why, but I ended up connecting all three of the new signal light wires on the right side and only one of the three on the left. I really appreciate all the help.

Back