new brake disk for the tracker

drewpy

Excess twin
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Got meself a new brake disk for my tracker project.

its a tzr125 and will be gripped by an XJR1300sp blue spot caliper

IMAG0043.jpg

That thing is SWEET!!!! Definitely has that sportbike look. Is the rim/hub stock? Any modification needed to bolt that disk up? I can't wait to see thing come along! Great work man!

stock rim and hub, will need to space out the disk as its shallower than standard and will need to make up a caliper mount bracket.

I have a template off the SR forum as these bike's brakes are exactly the same but a mirror image!

Looking good Drewpy mate. Don't make the mistake I made with mine and forget that the mounting points on the fork leg are not in line.

Caliper%20Bracket.JPG

It all lines up perfect with the 320mm disk and the the caliper but the edge of the bracket is not parallel with the fork leg and it bugs the shit out of me. So much so that I don't put it on the bike as it makes me so pissed off with myself :banghead:

Caddy

ok ...I have to leave this forum..you guys are killing me with all these new ideas...this is going to get exspensive!!LOL
Pretty soon we're going to have to start a "sub-section" of the forum. We'll call it "XS400 Forum (for those uncreative, poor folks in the States" hahahahahaha I'll be the first member!

That's a good looking bracket there Cad. Did you mill that yourself?

I wish I had that amount of skill and equipment :) I work as a CAD technician so after I made a MDF version of the bracket to get the alignment I sketched out what I wanted and created a dxf file for the engineering shop to use in their CAD/CAM machines.

I wish I had that amount of skill and equipment :) I work as a CAD technician so after I made a MDF version of the bracket to get the alignment I sketched out what I wanted and created a dxf file for the engineering shop to use in their CAD/CAM machines.
That sounded exactly like skill to me.....haha Good job!

the diversity on this forum is amazing...I usually make my stuff look pretty...but you wouldn't believe my caveman methods...some would say I mentored Skippii

Looking good Drewpy mate. Don't make the mistake I made with mine and forget that the mounting points on the fork leg are not in line.

It all lines up perfect with the 320mm disk and the the caliper but the edge of the bracket is not parallel with the fork leg and it bugs the shit out of me. So much so that I don't put it on the bike as it makes me so pissed off with myself :banghead:

Caddy

:laugh: did you have to space the disk out as well and what caliper did you use?

I'll be making my bracket the "old school way" using 8mm ally, a hacksaw and lots of measurements.

Hey Drewpy, with a Brembo disc and a Yammie Fazer bluespot caliper I worked out that 10mm thick aluminium would give me a pretty close fit. I made a version in 10mm MDF to check it out and to get the alignment of the holes. It all seemed good spacing wise, and any small changes I thought I could make using those engineering washes that come in fractions of a mil.

Here is the thread that inspired me, off the XS650 site:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197

Caddy

question for you guys...if this is a one off custom thats a practical modification.And you guys are going thru all the effort to CAD these things out..is it cost effective to make say a dozen all at once and then offer them for sale?
or would there be too much added exspense involved...or maybe legal issues or something?
the time and energy you put into the development seems like it would have a market for those who dont have the capabilities.

Not sure if it would bother you Drewpy but looking at the plans you posted the same situation would happen with that bracket that happened with mine.

The 2 holes 113mm apart that fix to the 2 mounting points on the fork legs are shown the same distance from the edge of the bracket. When mounted to the XS fork legs where the tabs are of different lengths in means the edge of the bracket isn't parallel to the fork leg.

Just something to keep in mind when you design your bracket, looking forward to seeing what you come up with :thumbsup:

question for you guys...if this is a one off custom thats a practical modification.And you guys are going thru all the effort to CAD these things out..is it cost effective to make say a dozen all at once and then offer them for sale?
or would there be too much added exspense involved...or maybe legal issues or something?
the time and energy you put into the development seems like it would have a market for those who dont have the capabilities.

Skillzman, the reason I was interested in doing this was I've never been a fan of the chunky looking stock caliper on the XS and I was searching around to see if there was any straight replacements. I was also obsessed at the time with cleaning up the handlebars and I was going to get rid of the plastic m/c and use a cable lever for the front brake actuating a nissin rear m/c to operate the front caliper. These were all just changes mainly because I fancied trying them out for the challenge and to keep me off the streets causing trouble.

I'm not sure if they a practical mods or not really, though having a bigger (but lighter) disc with a modern caliper cannot hurt braking performance :)

I could CAD the drawing easily becuase, well, it's my job and I have too much free time a work, lol. I also spoke to a couple of engineering shops to get quotes for producing it and they said any drawing in a format their CNC guys could import into their machines would cut down on set-up time and save me money. I didn't do some fancy 3D model it was just an accurate 2D drawing in a format they could use. If anybody wants the drawing I will happily email it to them or if you want some changes I could do that too, no problem :thumbsup:

Doing a batch for several people would have been cheaper overall as most of the costs are in the initial setting up of the tooling and what not, not in the materials. If this forum had been around then I would have deffinately asked about getting a few manufactured :shrug:

cheers for the link CAD.

I'll wait till the caliper arrives before I do anything, looks like I'll be having fun with spoked wheel fitting!

Back