new brake disk for the tracker

thats cool....I kinda thought it was a cheaper to get multiples made all at once...always good to know there are people with different ideas and capabilities to borrow!!
soooo.is it back on the street...and are you getting in trouble again??!!LOL

Not sure if it would bother you Drewpy but looking at the plans you posted the same situation would happen with that bracket that happened with mine.

The 2 holes 113mm apart that fix to the 2 mounting points on the fork legs are shown the same distance from the edge of the bracket. When mounted to the XS fork legs where the tabs are of different lengths in means the edge of the bracket isn't parallel to the fork leg.

Just something to keep in mind when you design your bracket, looking forward to seeing what you come up with :thumbsup:

Yea I noticed the similarity of yours and the plans. I seen the jap SR site and didn't notice the gap you mentioned. I'll keep my beady eye out on that one. :thumbsup:

400MOS02.jpg

soooo.is it back on the street...and are you getting in trouble again??!!LOL

I got thrown out of a football (soccer) match today for hammering a guy who spat on my female friend who was with me. I think that was on my mind when I wrote that...lol...

Hey Drewpy, with a Brembo disc and a Yammie Fazer bluespot caliper I worked out that 10mm thick aluminium would give me a pretty close fit. I made a version in 10mm MDF to check it out and to get the alignment of the holes. It all seemed good spacing wise, and any small changes I thought I could make using those engineering washes that come in fractions of a mil.

Here is the thread that inspired me, off the XS650 site:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197

Caddy

mate what would the chance of getting you to make me up a bracket and sending it to Australia for me????:thumbsup:

well guess what came in the post today?

f28296c5.jpg

looks in good nick, the caliper is not too far into the spokes so its do-able with a spacer for the disk. Just needs a good clean and paint.

Drewpy any updates on this? Have u made up your bracket? I'm also at the bracket making stage, thinking I'll make one in plywood to see how it fits before having one made.

Caddy don't suppose you've drawn up a new design that runs parallel to the fork leg?

Last edited:
I'm still getting the spacer made for the disk. as i don't have a lot of money, I'll getting it done on the cheap and unfortuatly it takes time as peeps take it away and then tell me later that they can't do it.

when I have something, I will post it up.

to make a caliper bracket, you use cardboard first and get the profile right. then transfer to metal for the final cut. 10mm thickness seems to be the concensus of opinion on this.

Drewpy which spacer design/size are you going to make? Are you planning to replicate the SR500 diagrams for both the spacer and bracket?

Furthermore has anyone on this forum already made an XS400 brake setup using the blue spot caliper and a 320mm disc? I can see that they were done on 650's but do they have exactly the same fork slider as the 400?

I have a contact who can possibly have these fabricated in China for a fraction of the cost of having it done locally in Australia. But of course there will be quality risks as well....

the bracket i'm gonna do meself as I want that handmade look, rather than machined.

I'm using the rd one but the spacer measurements are different. I can't say for sure yet that I measured correctly, but they are being made right now so should have them next week. Its being made out of stainless coz that's what he has in the shop.

if it fits I'll give out the measurements.

Caddy don't suppose you've drawn up a new design that runs parallel to the fork leg?

Sorry jray I didn't notice you had asked me something till now (my bad :))

I haven't changed the design yet to run run parallel to the fork leg. If you are after one let me know and I will change it and send you the CAD file if you are after something CNC machining. Mine would have been more salvageble but I had to go all fancy the have the indent machined in it :shrug: Live and learn I guess...

320mm discs look great by the way...

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20079.JPG

If you have the mag wheel you may not need a spacer, if you have wires then like Drewpy you probably will.

Caddy

Caddy if you could do that I'd be eternally grateful! Your bracket looks sweet. Do you have a diagram with dims? I might still make up a plywood bracket to test before machining.

I've also got mags but my blue spot caliper hits the mag without a spacer.

Drewpy, looking fwd to hearing which dims work for you.

Jray, PM me your email and I can send you some stuff about the existing bracket.

I will play around with the design on Monday when I'm back at work and try and sort out the running parallel to the fork leg issue.

Caddy

If anyone is making brackets for this or has some extras I would be interested in one. My front caliper on my new build is seized so instead of replacing it im just gonna do the conversion. Ive got a caliper and a 320 rotor on their way.

what year 400 came with a disc and wire wheel. i cant find it on the OE parts lists. i really want to try this but i am drum drum. so i need to get a new wheel.

Back