1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

New guy, new build

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandmanred, Oct 30, 2018.

1. sandmanred

sandmanred XS400 Enthusiast

A little progress on the front. And I fitted the cowling with the tank at the same time. After new front fender stays, headlight mount and reflector delete I'll move on to a solo seat as an alternative to the two-up seat.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. sandmanred

Progress on head light brackets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

buztabuzt likes this.
  3. BBS360

BBS360 XS400 Guru Top Contributor

Looks amazing. Quite jealous of the fabrication skills on display.

buztabuzt likes this.
  4. sandmanred

Thanks. I got my last bike into the Handbuilt show this year. What a great show. I'd like to go every year. I'll even go without a bike in the show if I have to. This one doesn't have as much fab or as many custom parts so I want to make sure that what it does have looks good. Assuming I'm done in time I plan to submit this one for the 2020 show.

5. sandmanred

Replacing side covers with something that fits the seat pan better. There's some final smoothing to do but the fit is OK. Still need to figure out mounting.
    [​IMG]

6. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

I liked the raw look, but your fab skills are great.

7. sandmanred

A bit of re-shaping on the set and a new cover. Clamp on walking foot on sewing machine helps but I'm guessing still not quite like a true walking foot machine. Quilt top stitch came out okay but still a little inconsistent on perimeter stitch but better than the last one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

9. sandmanred

Thanks. I agree, the previous shape was too bulky. This is a bit more comfortable for the passenger too.