New member introduction w pics

StrtLegal

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
New member, new to Yamahas but not to motorcycles. I got this 78 xs400 from a kid down the street for $300. I've built a 81 Suzuki gs750 and currently own a 78 CB750 brat. The bike ran before the PO messed with it and let it sit. So now I have to go trough the carbs and get a new tank and petcock. If anyone has any spares lying around I would appreciate a PM. So far everything else looks okay. Are there any quirks these bike have that I should be aware of? Looking forward to getting to know some of you.
a369d420.jpg

4b2c2cec.jpg

Besides the gas tank, mufflers and carb to airbox boot I don't see much missing...All easily replaced stuff...Bike appears to be in pretty good condition...

I actually took the boots off before that pic as I was in the process of getting the carbs out to clean them. The mufflers are however missing but fortunately they aren't essential to getting it running.

Welcome! Nice looking '78. Should make a good project bike. Point gap, timing, valve adjustment and CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN those carbs if the bike has been setting a long time. Sounds like you may know your way around old bikes, though, so you probably already know about these things. Adjust each carb air mix screw to about 3.5 turns out from the factory 1.5, which is way too lean. If the carb intake manifolds are cracked, you can buy a good high quality set on ebay for just under $30. If you install the O.E. vacuum fuel tap, there are rebuild kits available if it leaks when the engine is off.

welcome the the forum great looking bike! looks really clean and someone looks to have replaced the seat cover. lets see some pics of the cb750

Is there another xs400 site?

Hey Chris. Is that a ? or just facetious? :laugh:
Yamahaclub.com (Yamaha Owners Club). you're aware of but I guess not an XS400 site.
'Classics' and 'Workshop' I will visit. A certain moderator we may have heard of. try avoid the video (youtube) section because I don't know how finds time to find such wacky crazy-zany, even perverse moral depravity :yikes:

Hey Chris. Is that a ? or just facetious? :laugh:
Yamahaclub.com (Yamaha Owners Club). you're aware of but I guess not an XS400 site.
'Classics' and 'Workshop' I will visit. A certain moderator we may have heard of. try avoid the video (youtube) section because I don't know how finds time to find such wacky crazy-zany, even perverse moral depravity :yikes:

I'm watching you, yes you........:laugh:

Back