forrezray91

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Got my first bike! She's a 1978 xs400. A little beat up but I'll clean it up. Plus I can't complain due to it being free n all. Just thought i'd introduce myself. I've been reading on here for a couple weeks and decided to join. She'll be up and running very soon!

Some old timer I work with wanted more room in his garage. His brother dumped it on the ground about 9 years ago and it's been sitting ever since. thankfully it was sitting inside the garage.

Posted via Mobile

Welcome to the Forum.
One caution. In your excitement to see what you've got, it might be tempting to just throw some gas in and try to fire it up.
WAIT! If there is detritus in the tank or the fuel system anywhere, thus will all flush down into the carbs and plug them up totally if they are not already at least partially disabled from incorrect storage 9 years ago.

Resist the temptation until you have cleaned the system thoroughly and properly, and have installed the < $3 in-line fuel filter. 9 years of condensation inside the tank will no doubt have created a very thin coating of oxidation (at the very least).

You will likely have to take the carbs off and clean them, unless by some miracle, the PO put it away perfectly and then sealed the system off from the outside world.

Check out this thread first. It can walk you through what to do the first few hours before you try to fire it up.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10595

Lou, thanks for the tip :) I was waiting to get a new battery put and was going to try starting. you may have saved me quite the hassle. and Chris, I'll definitely have some pics up as soon as I get home from Vegas! My profile pic is the only one, so far. I've been siphoning through this site since I got the bike and wow, all of the knowledge here should make this rebuild a lot easier!

Posted via Mobile

Back