New paint job

happy61

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Here's my attempt at a rattle can paint job. Didn't turn out too bad. 8 coats of heat resistant engine paint, some 1000 and 2000 grit paper and some polishing compound. Smooth as a baby's bottom. Gotta change those bars, though.

Attachments

• 100_0213.JPG
    100_0213.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 483
  • 100_0215.JPG
    100_0215.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 452
Actually, I didn't. Both sides were sanded and primed where I filled in the brackets for the Yamaha logo. I just roughed up the remaining area and primed it. I usually have a problem with cans as I tend to put too much at a time on and get runs. This time I just put on a couple light coats within a half hour period or so, let it set overnight and went again. Took about a week but I wasn't in any hurry. I was going to go with a real dark green, almost a black, but I saw the orange high temp paint, supposed to be somewhat oil and gas resistant, so I went with that. Should be a real hit around Halloween.

looks nice. I myself wouldn't use paint from a can but its probably cheaper and looks like it worked for you with some time and patience. :thumbsup:

Any clear on this? I have to redo my tank and also noticed that is the only kind of paint off the shelf that claims to have some oil/gas resistance.

I didn't clear coat it although you could. Just a bunch of light coats, some 1000 grit and then some 2000 and some polishing compound followed with wax. I did it by hand rather than a buffer just to see if it would be good enough. It feels good to me, has a nice glossy finish and I'm sure is much thicker than the factory job.

you can (pun intended) get good results from aerosols, I did a KH125 in black and laquered it. looked great!

ca6ad6bf.jpg

good work on yours BTW

Back