New rubber!

buschkj24

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I finally got the extra cash (love work bonuses!) and replaced the seven year old tires. I was able to pick up two Dunlap d404 for 190 dollars. They wanted to charge me 50 bucks per tire for mount and balance with an additional 150 to take the wheels off the bike. My jaw about dropped, so I did it myself and saved the 200. Took roughly 2.5 hours total and the rubber is much more sticky and smooth riding compared to the old hard rubber. I ordered some balancing beads, however, when I took it for a ride I didn't notice any vibration all the way up to 70mph. My question is do motorcycle tires always need balancing?

I think the answer is that wheels need to be in balance.
But the only way to tell for sure is to do the procedure. If by chance (or perfect manufacturing) the tire/wheel combo is balanced, then adding weights or beads would not be necessary.

You may not notice any vibrations, After you add the beads then you will see how much difference they make.
I hope you have better luck with those D404's than I had. They didn't last very long for me. About 7000 miles. The front cupped very quickly. The rear just wore down to quick.
Leo

I have the beads coming so I was going to put them in regardless, just thought it was cool that even without them it rides nice.

Back