Using Counteract Balancing Beads

My question is, if I spin a tire on a balancer and it asks for a quarter ounce, which is about right for a motorcycle, what happens to the extra weight? It is a very inaccurate way of balancing a tire. That is why they are mainly used in big tires, cause they can compensate having the extra weight. This is why bike shops pay thousands of dollars for balancing machines.

Yup. Same old and tired arguments. Not going to argue with you, as the Internet is full of these arguments. Good to hear that you agree the science of how the beads work is valid. Not sure why you you don't think it applies to any other than big tires though. Tire shops must really hate that an inexpensive handful of ceramic or glass beads can do a better job than their expensive machines.

To answer your question, beads not currently required to correct an imbalance spread out evenly around the tire. Sure, in your example I may have an extra 3/4oz (21gr) of balancing material inside my tube, but since the beads individually weigh a fraction of a gram, they can balance my tire more accurately than the "close enough for that schmuk" tire shop employee ever would. And the beads do so continuously, unlike the fancy tire machine bolted to the floor back at the tire shop.

Am I sold on balancing beads? Yes. Do they work? Yes. Do I care if anyone else will use them? No. Since I never have to pay for balancing, or re-balancing of tires, I'm saving a lot of time and money over my motoring lifetime. That I care about.

I can only speak to what I see & feel for myself regarding the performance of balancing beads as opposed to lead weights. That is:

1) the tires that were on my bike when I got it were worn unevenly and the front one was cupped quite badly. They were balanced with lead. I didn't ever ride on those tires, I changed tires after I bought the bike. The tires had 6400 miles on them.

2) After 1000 miles of riding on my new tires there is no apparent wear, uneven or otherwise, and no cupping. I haven't noticed any adverse effects from the tires like vibrations, wobbling or anything else.

I am a little older but I certainly don't ride like many other ppl my age. If there had been adverse effects from the tires I think I would have felt them. I have the stock steering head bearings and swingarm bushings but they must still be in good shape because I don't feel anything untoward from them either.

Regardless of what I read on the internet either for or against balancing beads, I am satisfied with the balancing done by them. I tried them with an open mind and they seem to do the job.

I understand where you both are coming from. I just wanted to put the "facts" out there for others. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I am just speaking from the other side of the counter.

I'm still waiting for "facts". A salesman's opinion doesn't count for much. An engineer's report of long term testing would, however, be interesting.

The person that told you that wants you to sell his product, IE wheel weights and tire balancers. If you used beads you wouldn't use his products. You would save your self money, have happier customers and no use for that person.
If you go to innovativebalanacing.com and just read what they say and what tires they work in. Then read the testimonials of the customers.
I did and that's what got me to try them.
I know they are salesmen to and want to sell their products just as the person you listened too.
I tried them first in my motorcycle tires. I did this by starting with a properly balanced tire from a shop. I then rode the bike over a course of 30 miles or so over several types of road surfaces. It felt ok. I then added the beads to the front tire. I then rode the course again. Much smoother. I then pulled off those ugly weights. Rode the course. Very smooth.
I then did the same on the rear tire. The difference was amazing.
I then ordered enough to do every tire I own. All my bikes, my vans summer tires, the winter tires. My boat trailer and utility trailer. The only thing I have not put them in is the mini bikes, garden tractor or bicycle tires.
On the Harley the difference wasn't quite as much. I think the more expensive a tire the better it's balance is over a less expensive tire.
They work great. I have transferred them from the old tires to the new on my van and the Harley. From inspecting the inside of the tubeless tires I see no damage. The insides of the tubes show no damage.
I run them in tubes on the spoke wheels and in the tires on the mag wheel.
I will continue to use them and recommend them to others.
Believe what you will. I can only say try them, see for yourself.
Leo

Love 'em or Hate 'em...
iamunique127 has the right idea as to how to install 'em.

Just finished putting mine in. Probably took an hour. The beads didn't really want to go in.

I used the hammer technique.

There are a few things you have to keep in mind:
1. Rotation of the tire. Like mentioned before, and from my experience, put the valve stem somewhere between 7 - 8 o'clock.
2. Angle of the tube loaded with beads. This seemed to make a difference for me strangely enough. I found the less steep the angle, the better the beads would enter.
3. Small rapid hammer hits seemed to work the best. You don't need big wind ups!
4. Have patience! And good luck!

Good summary, jthiessen. That's more or less what I found to work too. It takes a little while to get a technique that's best and they go in pretty fast by the end.

Back