Not bought an XS400

emgi

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi2all,

This is my first post. I was considering to buy an XS400 which had already been upgraded to hardtail. After having a look at the bike, I decided not to buy it altough it was fairly cheap. Showstopper was the way in which the front fork had been set forward. The quality of the rear end was not good either.
Seller stated all welding was provisional to allow further adjustments but the quality of the metalwork was low. It consisted of self made parts with wide gaps between them and insufficient overlapping. Also I thought the tubing of the hardtail was pretty thin using 1 inch pipe with 0,1 inch or 3mm wall thickness.
In my opinion this frame is only good for scrap but perhaps I'm too critical:D.
Please check the pics and give me your professional judgement.

image243n.jpg

image242q.jpg

regards,
emgi

I take issue with the term "upgraded" in reference to a hardtail to begin with, but I understand the style people are going after and it's a good look.

I have to agree with your choice not to buy that one.

Hm, I am not sure what the point of this thread is. You already decided not to buy the bike, so... ? Yeah, the welds look bad and the rear looks tacked on. The general rule should be that if you cannot modify and fix bikes you should not even be considering modified bikes.

Hm, I am not sure what the point of this thread is. You already decided not to buy the bike, so... ? Yeah, the welds look bad and the rear looks tacked on. The general rule should be that if you cannot modify and fix bikes you should not even be considering modified bikes.

Point of this thread is to get answers to two questions:
1: Am I too critical while not buying this one?

2: What type/size of tubing should be used for a hard tail on an XS400?

:thumbsup:

Can you weld? If the answer is no then do not buy the bike. Since you're asking about tubing sizes it seems like you're implying that you can weld. You just have not made your intentions clear. Are you trying to buy a finished hard tail or are you trying to make a hard tail?

If you can weld I don't see why you couldn't just fix any problems on the bike; I'd be more concerned with the condition of the engine and other parts.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4483&highlight=hardtail+ideas

+1 on the engine portion, hardtails are relativly easy in theory, so that wont cost much. the ingine is what you need to worry about before you start questioning the frame. that neck does sketch me out tho. he should have pie cut it at the top, and that way when it is raked out, it doesnt jepordize the integrety of the downtubes like it looks like it has. it looks like he just cut off the neck, then repositioned it. how do you know its straight? not cocked one way or another? IMO, i would pass on this. too sketchy. unless it runs like a champ. i mean NOTHING WRONG. if it was cheap and runs perfect, i would get it, then fix the frame, but if the frame is this questionable, then the engine is probably similar.

@bcware: No, I cannot do the welding myself but I know some people who can.
I would like to build a hardtail more or less from scratch and I would be willing to start with a suitable frame if it comes by. This bike was offered for sale as an unfinished project.

I do not agree with you that anything can be fixed by welding, especially the screwed-up front. IMHO this will never be as strong as the original.
Are you trying to convince me of the opposite?

I think a proper weld could easily make the neck stronger than the original.

The welding up front looks pretty bad to the point that, in my opinion, it ruined the metal. It looks like they were welding with too high of temperature for the thickness of the metal and burned through. We all know that heating metal too hot can ruin the structural integrity, so I wouldnt have bought it either. But like another poster said, if everything on there was in great shape, then maybe a new frame would be a good option if the price were right.

if i may offer my opinion..... take a grinder to those welds on the neck and then run over them again!!! if you are leary of the strength at that point then you could fish plate i.e. overlay a reinforcing piece over the top. though the latter is not going to be as attractive. i wouldn't fear a break if the weld was completed. have you people ever seen a frame break before the forks bend!! that is the week point!!

as far as the tail section.....cut it off and start over!! always use .120 or 1/8"wall tubing and no less!!

I'm curious what the side view of that bike looks like. could be the rake is ugly and thats why he quit!!

Back