Not staying alive

Michael Martin

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So this is my first bike and typically I am a carpenter not a mechanic by any means so I am learning. I have a newly acquired 1982 xs400 maxim and the issue I am running into is the bike will start and stay alive with the choke on but as soon as I let off the choke the bike will die. I am hearing it might be the carburetor but looking for any ideas that it could possibly be to explore. Thank you for your input.

Welcome to the forum.
Stock intake and exhaust?
Had the bike sat for any length of time before you acquired it?
A carb cleaning will be a good idea either way.

A lot of the information on the forums are for single-overhead cam bikes, unlike your double-overhead cam Maxim, but the general concepts are the same:
http://www.xs400.com/threads/how-to-what-to-do-first-with-your-new-xs400.10595/
http://www.xs400.com/threads/a-bunch-of-how-tos-in-a-thread.10715/
http://www.xs400.com/threads/bike-will-not-stay-running.8438/#post-88244
http://www.xs400.com/threads/mikuni-bs34-carb-rebuild-tutorial.11794/#post-122005

As far as I can tell everything on this bike is stock. I bought it off an older gentleman that had it sitting in his field and hasn’t been licensed since ‘08 so I’m assuming its been sitting since then. I have done a fresh oil change as well as putting a new air filter on and a gas flush because the old fuel smelled like varnish and when draining the bowl on the carbs it came out green like antifreeze which was a little off putting. Next step will be a carb clean but i have seen the diagram for the carb and its a bit overwhelming to say the least.

This is the bike I have

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180219_150827.jpg
    MVIMG_20180219_150827.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 222
Michael, it's overwhelming to look at but if you take your time it is really quite easy. I was also a rookie and i am still working at improving. I had to clean and re-clean and set and re-set mine a bunch of times and I got so it was pretty quickly done. I also would recommend you to start with cleaning the carbs. Pay attention to how they were when they came apart!
Good luck and welcome!

Yep green gas you definitely need to clean the carbs...........the jets may even be green when opened up. My 1100 had 2 of the 4 carbs with green jets.

Its not as hard as you think either. As stated just take your time and clean, clean and clean again.......you can even re use everything unless you mess up the gaskets or something really looks messed up. Kits are not that bad and also use air along with the carb cleaner to blow out everything.

Good luck and keep us posted. If you were just a little closer I would help but your just a bit far......I am just out of Portland.

Thanks for the encouragement I took my carb out this afternoon and took it to the high school where my family and friend of family work and cleaned the bottoms out real good in the auto shop. One of the Jets was blocked and we got it to spray really nicely but bike still dies without the choke because it idles too low. The uppers on the carb looked good and the Pistons moved nicely so we determined they didn't need to be torn apart. Tomorrow I am going to find the idle adjuster and see if I can't get it to sit at 2k rpms. If I took off the choke and gave it just enough gas to sit at 2k she sat perfectly but as soon as I let off the gas the bike would die.

You still need to pull them apart and clean. There are a few jets in there to clean. Its pretty simple really once you open it up.

Welcome to the forum fellow DOHC Maxim owner!

These bikes are great to work on and learn from. Mine was my very first bike and I bought it "not running". The first time working on any part of the bike is a bit intimidating, but after you've done it once it'll be a cinch the next time (and there's always a next time). I will say, if you want to try and customize this bike it's a bit harder than most.

As others have stated, clean the carbs and like spectra said, pull them apart anyway. These carbs are a bit finicky. If you plan on soaking the carb bodies make sure to pull all the seals (might as well replace them). This forum has a great following and the long-timers on here are extremely helpful/knowledgable. It would have taken me a lot longer and probably a lot more money to get my bike running if I never found this site.

Good luck and always search the forum first. If you can't find an answer post away and someone will surely chime in.

Ya we broke down the carbs to the Jets and sprayed carb cleaner into each of the Jets to check for blockages and found one carb had something jammed in there but we got it freed up and spraying like it should. Still idling too low to stay alive so I think today I'm gonna check the idle screw and I guess there's a copper colored screw on the carb that changes how rich the fuel to air ratio is and that can cause a similar issue to what I'm experiencing. I will also be looking into how to install a fuel filter in line as that seems to be a common must have on this bike. Thank you everyone for your advice and input so far. She's coming along!

Ya we broke down the carbs to the Jets and sprayed carb cleaner into each of the Jets to check for blockages and found one carb had something jammed in there but we got it freed up and spraying like it should. Still idling too low to stay alive so I think today I'm gonna check the idle screw and I guess there's a copper colored screw on the carb that changes how rich the fuel to air ratio is and that can cause a similar issue to what I'm experiencing. I will also be looking into how to install a fuel filter in line as that seems to be a common must have on this bike. Thank you everyone for your advice and input so far. She's coming along!

My bike will sometimes have trouble idling when its cold and the choke is off. Its because you need to set the idle and fuel mix when the bike is at operating temps or else it wont be optimal.

The copper color screws should be set like this, screw them in very lightly all the way until they bottom out. Then, back them out about 1 1/2 turns. This will give you a baseline tune. I believe im at 2 turns out right now but you shouldnt go past 3 turns. Bike should stall when screwed all the way in, if not then your pilot is too big. If you need to go more than 3 turns out, you need bigger pilot jets. I would check these screws first as people sometimes tighten them too much and the tip breaks off and gets jammed in the carb body, in this case, you may be toast...

Im not 100% on the order but you should adjust the valves first, then points gaps(if you have them) then timing. Then you can get to the carb settings including getting them synced together with a manometer.

I like my bike bike idling around 1200-1500 rpms. I keep it a bit high because the idle will drop slightly when I have the lights turned on.

I think timing and carb synching should be done at 1000 rpm or else you wont get a good sync and your timing advance wont be where it should be.

I located a screw that appeared to at one time be copper colored but sat too long in the field and is discolored. It sits behind the throttle lever and cable just a bit but does nothing to the engine when I adjust it. I'll upload a picture later this morning when I go out and work on it.

Sounds like that's the throttle stop screw.
It can adjust idle speed but the copper (brass) screws are the idle mix screws.
There's just one throttle stop but there are two of the brass ones, one per carb.

Back