Parts question

Mr L

Cafe Lover
Reaction score
Just wondering about some parts for my 1979 xs400.

I am looking to put some gators on and I am just wondering where I could get some or if gators from a cm450 or a similar bike would work.

Also I am looking to put in new wiring and am going to buy a new wiring harness. What range of xs400 wiring harnesses would work for my 79... Would a 77 or 78 work?

And finally a electronic ignition, I can't seem to find one on eBay, where would I be able to get my hands on one?

Thanks a ton,
L

i just used shock boots from any offroad store. the outer diameter is a little wider but they fit.
do you plan to run all factory accesories, or do you want a custom set up? Drewpy and a couple others have great write ups for aftermarket wiring. much cleaner and more reliable than a 30 yr old harness.

I have a '79 and run the original ignition system. I have replaced the points and condenser, but that was more preventative than anything and the bike has always started and run very well (once I got the carbs sorted).

If you want an electronic ignition (that's up to you), the easiest way to do it would be to get a complete system from a 1980 or later SOHC XS400 and fit that.

...all I'll say is watch out for what is referred to in my signature.

I'm going for a fully custom setup. I will take a look at that. Thanks both of you.

L

I'm all for custom work, but when it comes to the engine itself and reliability, it's tough to beat the factory. That's one reason I suggest the factory electronic ignition if you want a change in that area.

Good luck!

Back