Picked up a new project

neinzone

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while now after my cousin told me he had a 1981(?) XS400 in his garage that he wanted to get rid of. So I picked it up today and I can't figure out what year this bike is. There is no date or year designation on the information label on the neck. I plan on turning this into a cafe racer, but would like to make sure that I purchased the correct parts. I know that he acquired an early model tank, but that is the extent of it's history.

Any help figuring out the model year would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

xs400a.jpg xs400b.jpg xs400c.jpg xs400d.jpg xs400e.jpg xs400f.jpg xs400g.jpg xs400h.jpg

It's an 81. 4R4 is the 81 SH- heritage. Your fuel tank is off a 77 D or 78 2-E or even a 76 xs360.

I believe they are, based off google searching 1981 xs400 heritage. I’ve ordered some parts today so I can, hopefully, get the engine running.

They are stock 80-82 sohc mufflers. They have the crossover between them that helps with scavenging. Good overall performance and sound good. Hard to get ones than are still in good shape as most people cut them up or drill holes in them thinking it helps with performance.

Back