Please help with my assembly

theblazer07

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been lurking here for the past two years, and am now at the point where I could use some assistance. I completely disassembled my 1981 XS400H two years ago and began the restoration/cafe process.

It's coming down to the wire now because I'm trying to finish the bike in time for a local event here in Milwaukee (rockerbox). I would like to have the bike done by this weekend (Aug. 3rd) but I'm not sure now.

The first place I am stuck is the kickstarter installation. I just bent then stripped the head of one of my new stainless clutch cover bolts trying to make this ^$#%*& thing work. I've read the threads on installing it but still can't figure it out. I got it in and it worked perfectly, then after dinner I came back and tried it and it's locking up again.

The second place I could use some help is rear brake linkage installation. Plain and simple I don't remember how everything goes and the manual I have doesn't show it. I could use a photo or two of an existing linkage.

Thirdly, if anyone can ID the parts in the last photo that would be great.

Sorry if I'm asking a lot. I would just really like to have the bike ready by Saturday.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0369.jpg
    IMAG0369.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 449
  • IMAG0370.jpg
    IMAG0370.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 384
Rubber thingy, goes on the gear shifter, below the drive sprocket. Behind cover.

Spring thingy goes onto kick starter,under the case

Weird thingy on left of pic, spacer for engine rear bolt down,hope that makes sense.

Last thing most closely resembles a spacer for the kick starter. Part 15, off the kick starter diagram. (See the manual section, you will find the parts catalogue.)

Rubber thingy, good call, thanks.

Weird thingy makes sense, thanks.

Springy thingy....kickstarter already has a spring on it. My dad thinks this spring is for the rear brake. I think he's right.

I really appreciate the help. I was really drawing a blank on the rubber thingy.
I took pictures while I was taking everything apart, but my laptop died....so I'm flying blind now.

Ok, I got the kickstarter in after about 20 tries.

Next problem: the rear brake linkage. I can't figure out how the spring (in my second picture) fits on the splined shaft that the pedal attaches to. There is no picture of it in my manual, and I can't find any diagrams online.

Awesome thanks! Yes I have drums all around, and there are mostly disc brake pictures in the manual.

Gonna hit up The Shop in an hour or two. Hopefully my new chain, mufflers, and battery are all there. I'll probably work on it later tonight.

So did identify every thing right? The thing on right of pic, was that part 15, kick started?

Yeah you got everything right, except for that round metal piece on the right. I can't find that in any pictures in the manual. I'll try it on the shifter later and see what happens.

Ok guys. Still can't figure out the rear brake. But the engine is mounted fully now, I replaced the chain, and worked out a bunch of other small stuff.

New problem. Got a battery in the bike. Tried to turn it over (just to see if it would) and I got nothing. The idiot lights come on when I turn the key, but I get nothing when the button is being pressed. There is this cable...and I don't know where it goes. My guess it it's important... any ideas?

Attachments

• IMAG0374-1.jpg
    IMAG0374-1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 349
That is your, negative cable.' I like easy questions!
It goes from your battery, to your engine.

I still think that mysterious piece, is item 15, of your kickstarter, on the kick start
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1981/XS400SH/KICK+-+STARTER/parts.html
Or eBay
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...3.TR0.TRC0.X371-15666&_nkw=371-15666&_sacat=0

Nope, sorry. It's definitely different. Plus I never disassembled the kickstarter. Just pulled it out so I could get the cover off.

And about the cable...I already have the negative battery cable from the engine (I think). It runs up from the bottom of the engine and has a 90 degree rubber boot on it that fits over the terminal. Is this short cable supposed to go between the starter solenoid and something?

Also, it's looking like the bike will be ready come Saturday for the show! At least if I don't hit any more big snags and can get it running...

One more thing. When spinning the rear wheel with the bike in neutral, the new chain made a snapping sound. I realized I had it too tight so I loosened it up. The snapping grew less aggressive and quieted down, but it's still there. Teeth on the sprockets appear to be fine. Thoughts?

Stiff link in the chain. Slowly spin the rear tire and watch the chain. You should be able to see the link that comes off the front sprocket and remains "kinked" until it has enough tension on it to straighten out. you will want to get that (those?) link loosened up or you will have vibrations when riding.

That is your, negative cable.' I like easy questions!
It goes from your battery, to your engine.

I still think that mysterious piece, is item 15, of your kickstarter, on the kick start
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1981/XS400SH/KICK+-+STARTER/parts.html
Or eBay
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...3.TR0.TRC0.X371-15666&_nkw=371-15666&_sacat=0

Welp you were right about the cable. Good call. Bike turns over just fine now.

BUUUUT the kickstarter is locked up again. I don't even understand. It worked perfectly yesterday. Come back today and it is locked up. :banghead: That is going to the back burner. I only have one more day to work on it. (And saturday morning I guess).

Finally figured out the rear brake.

Got my Emgo reverse cones on. New problem arose. The sidestand hits the muffler when it is folded up. I don't think I can stretch the muffler up any higher. Anyone run into this?

Back