Pro vs DIY? And how much should it run?

windslow87

XS400 Member
Reaction score
well im looking forward to getting my bike painted however im not sure if i sould make the attempt and do it myself or pay someone to do the job. i dont have a huge budget for the paint job... 300 is what im looking to spend. i simply want a simple paint job. i do have a dent in my tank that will need to be fixed. and there is a small crack in the front finder. i know nothing about either and simply wouldnt mind to hear some one that knows the cost side of things. thanks

If you are looking to paint it yourself, let me say this. Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel. We can't get it in Canada, so I've had to make special trips for it. I've worked with every aerosol paint known to man, so don't waste your time with anything else. Provided it comes in the colour (see I'm a real Canadian) you were hoping for.. Haha

Additionally, if you have 300 set aside for paint, you can certainly get a professional job.

Last edited:
Hey I like this guy. And he agrees with me.

DISCLAIMER: If you are going to paint outside (or inside for that matter) take the time to set yourself up a booth. You'd be surprised how easily air born contaminants can ruin a great paint job.

I am "amateur professional" painter; that is I have taught myself paint and bodywork over about 20 years. My hobby, before this initial bike build, was repairing high end, late model, insurance wrecks (Porche, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes or anything I found interesting). You can see my most recent paint job here http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7760 .I think it came out pretty well even though my initial attempt using cheap paint was an abject failure. If you have access to a compressor you can buy a decent paint gun (I use a "touch up gun" for motorcycles and smaller auto parts) for under $50 and do it yourself. However, costs of just the paint/supplies can be a little offputting:
1) 1 qt Direct to metal primer and activator $50
2) 1 qt 2k high fill primer and activator $50
3) 1 qt PPG Duron base coat $70
4) 1 qt base thinner $16
5) 1 qt clear coat and activator $35
6) filler, sandpaper, glaze, tape $50

(These costs are from memory and may be a few dollars high/low but are reasonably accurate)

Additionally, as noted in my post, I have about 100 hours of labor just in paint prep and painting. Although a professional shop's costs may be lower by having several of the above items bought in bulk and/or leftover from large jobs and they may be better skilled and not need the number of hours I put in to the paint work, you can see where $300 is a bargain.

And yes, if painting outdoors expect a fair amount of dirt and dust in the paint job. However, if using a base/clear system much of that can be wet sanded out after the clear cures.

Last edited:
thanks for all of the quick replies. jmd forest thats a sweet paint job. i think either way pro paint job or me i think im going to prep it to save alittle money if i decide to have a pro do it. look forward to more advice. thanks for all the help.

95% of the time and money in a good paint job is in the prep. Getting body work perfect is not hard but it will take determination for a beginner to get right. Watch a few YouTube videos about bodywork to ensure you don't wind up with high spots along the edges of your body work.The actual final painting of a motorcycle only takes about an hour or 2 spread out in 10 minute segments over about 4 to 6 hours time.

I say do it yourself. With these old bikes, it doesn't take much to figure it out, even with rattle cans:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=10993.0

And if you don't like it, you can always strip and try again later (which is what I'm doing. I loved my rattle can job, but now the bike is going in another direction, so I stripped the tank, and am starting again.)

P5120014.jpg

this means ill be attempting it all.
will see how it comes out. found the paint gun out in the garage with all the old tools. cleaned up well and sprays good

Ha! The whole reason I became an autobody tech was because I couldn't afford the bodywork on my truck. Walked in for an estimate, walked out with a job.

I say, DIY. Take your time, ask lot's of questions, take your time, research different techniques, and take your time! The worst thing you can do is try and rush it.

I agree on using base/clear. That way even if you do have a rough orange peel, bugs, dust specks etc, you can wetsand and buff it smooth. Plus, it has way more UV protection than spray can paint... and after you spend all that time prepping it, why not have a pro finish on it?

All this talk about painting your bikes with a spray can makes me sick to my stomach. I had a customer bring me a harley full bagger that someone spray canned. It took so long to strip it down, i was just furious. Now I charge extra for spray painted parts.

I don't think people paint their bikes with the idea of stripping it later. I've been working with enamel rusto for years. The cap is interchangeable so i put a nice wide consistent cap on it and it works fantastic. I've seen bad spray can jobs, just as I've seen bad "professional" jobs. The spray can can give you fantastic results. If your parts are prepped really well and you take your time sanding and polishing, you'll certainly come out with a professional looking job.

That being said, if you have a budget for a pro job it does make it a lot easier, haha.

this is a paint job i did with duplicolor spray paint recently on my 700 vulcan

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 345
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 394
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 331
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 324
Want to add this: http://www.eastwood.com/spray-max-2k-high-gloss-clearcoat-aerosol.html

I've read really good results from it. Its a two part spray that apparently helps deal with a lot of the issues that come with basic rattle can clear coat.

I plan to redo the paint in a week or 3 myself. Thinking about covering it to a cafe bike or something though... still got things to work out.

funny my brother was just telling me about 2k the other day.he works in auto parts and says the stuff is inpervious to gas.you need to make sure your base coat is completly dry before you spray it

sorry it took so long for a follow up. low budget= time spread out, lol. well ended up getting a friend that owns a body shop to do it for me. did it for 200. there was a larger dent that i didnt feel like i could handel. he even did some welding which i cant do. love the out come
original
319952_10150298209083335_509128334_7981145_467303488_n.jpg

newly painted parts
P1030117_zpse594eca1.jpg

P1030118_zpsa531fa33.jpg

Back