Pro vs DIY? And how much should it run?

Ive delt with orange peel before that stuff sucks!With thank being painted already I cant use the duplicolor on top of the paint like used in the 1 st paint job show in the video.I can only hope the 7 coats of clear coat I put on is good enough for fuel.With that said Im going to look around and see what I can find today for additional clear coat.Thanks for all the tips guys.:thumbsup:

Well thought I might chime in as I'm over 100 hours of prep-work, lots of painters tape and maybe about $60 or more in paint.

I have been using Some self priming, high heat rated, rust proofing sealing paint that Home Hardware in Canada distributes. The result was worth the journey, I did all my own sanding, and chipping/ grinding to clean up the frame. I took my time and did many many coats allowing every other coat to cure overnight. then several clear coats after. I did everything within the parking garage of my apartment building, nice and dry, regular air exchanges, and way less particulate risk during curing time. I tool my time, nice even strokes not getting too close and not trying to go overboard with each coat is the best way to avoid binding the paint and ruining a good paint job.

I am happy with the job completed. To Be fair $300 would have paid for a slightly more professional paint job ( probably would still have welding tags on the frame) It would have saved me many many hours of blind work. although I would still be on the hook for taking it all apart and rebuilding it and would not have learned as much as I did (most likely over did it). I think my bike promotes that my work was worth my trouble. It was a labor of love!

Although yes .... I still agree $300 would also be worth some other guys trouble!:laugh:

Back