Project - Black and Gold

Looks excellent! I'm glad you were able to figure out the clutch deal.
I was looking at your seat set up way up near the top and was wondering if you had and clearance issues with the rear wheel when load is put on the seat springs.

No clearance issues. It's got about 3" of travel when completely bottomed out. I plan on putting a rear fender on eventually, so that'll definitely change things a bit :bike:

More issues!!

I had it fired up this weekend and rode it around the block. A few blocks down, it dies. Limp it back to the garage and hook up a multimeter to the battery, and it showed 18V + when it was running. Not good. Looked at the wires and noticed that the alternator wasn't grounded. Woops. Fixed that and fired it back up.

After firing it up, the multimeter was jumping from 6ish volts when idle, to 10v when revving. Any idea what's wrong? Bad reg/rec? Connections? Did I fry the battery when the alternator wasn't grounded the first time to where it can't hold a charge?

I'm running bare bones. Head light (on/off), brake light and field coils. No turn signals, instrument clusters, front brake switch, etc.

Wiring Diagram:
Go here to view (plus many other good wiring diagrams) http://www.bellicomoto.com/

Brand new Reg/Rec combo from Oregon Motorcycle Parts:
VRREM7YRD.jpg

And a 12V, 3.3AH battery:
Werker_12v_3-3AH.png

Everything has been rewired where the old wire has been removed, and old harnesses used. Before the teardown, everything worked fine, and the stock battery was charging perfect. I'm running 14g marine wire, and most connections have been replaced with bullet or spade connectors.

xs400_089.jpg

I plan on redoing ALL the wiring, using new connectors and solder - after reading some troubleshooting posts.

Anything else I should look out for that might be the culprit?!

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I downloaded the stock wiring diagram and double checked connections. After putting everything back together, I put in a NEW battery - the AntiGravity 4-cell - and hooked up the multi-meter.

Off the bike the battery read a nice and healthy 13v. When hooked up and ignition key on (tail light on, head light off) it dropped to 12.6v, which is typical. Once I kicked it and the bike started, it showed 13v-13.5 at idle, and a consistent 13.5-14v when revved to 5,000-7,000 rpm. Trying to repeat the symptoms of what happened the first time, I rode it around the block looking to see if the battery was over charging or draining.

After 15 minutes around the block, I got it back home and took more readings. Still 13.5v - so everything is okay!

I went a little farther from home, and after 10 minutes the bike just dies; flat-out bogs out with no power. I call a buddy to come pick me up and as soon as I get home I take another reading of the battery. 9.5v, and I fear that it has either repeated the old symptoms by overcharging, or not charging enough.

Anyone have ANY ideas as to what might be going on? I'm getting desperate here :banghead:

you gotta go through the charging system in the manual and find the bitchy part that's bugging you.

Something overheated with the new battery or vibrated loose, what happened at first was ideal conditions...we have to find the gremlin.

This is how I'm feeling about the bike right now:

gremlin-gif-animado.gif

Sending back the reg/rec to the supplier for a replacement. We suspect it's a bad regulator, resulting in OVER charging of the battery. I also suspect that our systems don't really like those smaller batteries, though I've seen it done before (Drewpy's PowerSonic), and I'm also doing something similar on my 175 racer.

We'll see how she wants to act when the new part shows up... In the meantime, and while the weather has turned to shit in Seattle this week, I'll be taking EVERYTHING apart and rewiring with solder, heat shrink, stock OEM connectors, etc.

:laugh: nice one.

those small batteries take a hammering, if I could find a motorcycle typre battery to fit the bike I'd use it, but TBH I'm happy the way things have turned out and a new alarm battery is only £8 delivered

I have a question. The icon right below your ignition switch. Is that a switch or a fuse? If its a fuse what size is it.

Sorry for the lack of updates! Been busy riding and wrenching!

Since the last time I was on here, I have done a few things:
Changed the mags to spokes
Installed LED headlight
New Anti-Gravity Battery
New Rick's Reg/Rec
Shortened forks

b3145b2a86f711e28b9f22000a9e0708_7.jpg

If anyone is interested in the mag setup, I posted it on the classifieds:
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9776

I know it doesn't look like much, but I made a bit of progress today...

I rebuilt both forks, cut 2.5" off the springs, made temporary wheel spacers for the new spoke rims, adjusted both drum brakes, routed the front brake and throttle cables, and tapped a couple set screws for the electronics tank caps. I got a few more things showing up next week, then it's almost time for tear down...

IMG_0006-600x448.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

Thanks Drewpy!

Another update... The China special LED headlight I got on eBay. 5.5", 30 white LEDs. Made a mounting bracket for it, wired it, and it's looking good! Nice and bright, and will hopefully help with my battery discharge issues haha

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

Thanks Travis! I owe it all - or at least a HUGE chunk of how this is looking - to your hardtail kit!

Here's what's left to do:

- 6" rear fender
- fender struts
- new levers
- single cable throttle pull
- grips
- new kick pedal
- frame gussets
- header wrap
- clean up wiring harness
- mount reg/rec
- grinding, polishing, cleaning, buffing, etc.
- new tires

Then it's teardown and parts off to powdercoat and paint. When everything is reassembled, I will take measurements for a new clutch cable, front brake cable, and throttle cable.

I swear it's all the small stuff that takes up the most time :)

Last edited:
Back