Putting it back together - need help

The wire from the clutch lever goes into the loom and ultimately to the starter relay. It acts so the bike wont turnover when it is in gear unless the clutch is engaged. Not a necessity on a bike.

^I figured it had something to do with starting the bike in neutral. If I just remove it but don't change anything in the wiring harness will it cause problems, or is it best to just remove all of the wires related to this switch?

If you remove the switch you can only start it in nuetral. Unless you connect the two wires that went to the switch. Then you will be able to start it whenever, even if its in gear and the clutch is not engaged.

Does it make sense?

the idea is, If you stall at lights , clutch in, and you can start the bike.
otherwise you'll have to find neutral which is hard on a non-running engine and then hit the starter switch.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I think I'll ditch that switch but then connect the wires so I can start in any gear, clutch in. Damn you guys are helpful! Thanks!

mcrissjr - As I start putting my bike back together, would you care if I added questions to this thread? I know you started it, so I figured I'd check.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I think I'll ditch that switch but then connect the wires so I can start in any gear, clutch in. Damn you guys are helpful! Thanks!

mcrissjr - As I start putting my bike back together, would you care if I added questions to this thread? I know you started it, so I figured I'd check.

WHen you connect the wires the relay will think the cluch is always engaged, so the starter button will work even if the clutch is not engaged and you are in gear. Remember to engage the clutch or have it in N when you start it, or your starter motor will turn the gears. I dont think I will be a big deal if you do it a couple of times, but doing it a lot will wear out your starter motor.

Alright I've got a no start condition. Got power. Key on all lights come on but electric start does nothing (no lights change or dim) and kicking doesn't seem to give spark. I'm hoping they're related. What should I be checking for here? I double checked the 3 connections associated with engine removal (one four prong, one four prong connector with three wires, one three prong connector).

Could be a kickstand switch. I saw the exact same problem on another thread, and the kick stand switch had been removed. Not sure if yo checked that, but it could be a possibility.

Maybe it doesn't on your bike. Not 100% sure, but I have just seen that to be the issue before. My guess is one of your safety relays is not getting the right signal, so it doesn't give power to the start button. Thats what it sounds like to. Everything else works? If so thats where I would start, but I am not an expert in electrical by any means.

Looks like we have a spark after all. I'm thinking its just too cold. Else it's carb problems. Carbs were flawless 6 months ago though.

There could be carb problems, but If it wont even turn over, I doubt that its the carbs not allowing the motor to start.

Where abouts in MN do you live, perhaps I can stop by with some coffee,or (for some) and take a look see?
Tobie

It'll spin over when kicked...just won't take.

Live near Faribault, MN. Won't be home for the next two and a half weeks though (back at college now).

ironically you've got the exact same bike as me :lachen: 4R4 and all.

I am in MN also and am in the process of putting the bike back together. Having the same issue. Has power, lights, everything but starter doesnt come on. Kickstarting seems like its not having any effect at all. I'm anxious to see what everyone says.

Sounds goofy but are you sure you're getting spark to the correct side at TDC? Each side, correctly timed?

Spark can come at the wrong time and you'll have a no start.

This mind sound pretty vague, but maybe you can help.
I started putting it back together today. Plugged everything in, went to start it and nothing except a little buzzing noise from my Starter Relay. I'm 99% sure all of the other main parts are plugged in (minus tail light and blinkers).
I cut the wires for the kickstand switch and linked them together, and did the same for the clutch switch, so it shouldn't be anything like that.

Anyone have quick things to look for?

Back