Questions about rebuilding the carbs. Re-jetting, sync, parts ect.

TimmyT

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Happy Halloween.
So I have decided to take my carbs apart and clean then and such also see what condition they are in... considering the rest of the bike got the same treatment. They were not difficult to take apart and i was lucky to find all the pieces. The clutch pin spring and ball bearing especially. So I took them apart and as far as i see I know i need some broken and stripped screws replaced, the air jets would not come out and i had to use flute extractors. some pieces are not as clean as i would like. I seperated metal from the rubber and plastic that would be cleaned with soap and warm water only. The metal parts were boiled in water for a few hours, turning every 30 mins.

I want to order parts for my carb, ive looked up everything i need on mikes xs but am afraid to take the dive. I want to be 100% sure that I'm getting the right parts for my 78 xs400. It has a mikuni bs34 carbs. I am guessing it is not a CV carb?

Also I think I am gonna take a dive on the 6Sigma jet kit as well. I am not planning on using the stock air boxes but some pod filters instead. I would have not guessed that the harley pipes that replaced the stock exhaust would also affect the jetting as well. Hand even thought of altitude when riding either. There should be some guesswork taken care of.

Can anyone out there that has rebuild a carb with success throw out some quick tips to get good results, when buying parts, re-jetting, rebuilding ect. ??? :D

Back