Re-Installing the intake h-pipe with current pods

Vroom4

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I already have Pod filters installed directly on my carbs, but wanted to re-install the h-pipe(for various reasons). I noticed that the sizing is actually a bit smaller on the other end of it though, so my pod filters currently on the carbs won't just transfer over. The pods are actually wayy to big on the opening.

I currently have the XS-Performance pods on from MikesXS(love them btw) and was wondering if anyone knew the right size that fits on the h-pipe? Or is there maybe a way to rig it up? Any ideas?

You could always just measure the outer diameter of the H pipe, and that would be the inner diameter of the new pods...

This is what I get.

Attachments

• DSC02198.jpg
    DSC02198.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC02276.jpg
    DSC02276.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Thanks guys! Do most people just put the pods over the oem h-pipe? I'm just wondering if it's stiff enough to clamp onto...

The PO of my bike did that.. kinda..

He had pods over the H-pipe, but he shoved a piece of PVC piping into the H-pipe under the connection to support it, but the pipe was really think and it was crumpled likely impeded the flow..

One of the first things i did was remove it and put pods right on my carbs.. Many people attach to the H-pipe to keep the crankcase vent though, i think its a popular option.

If you have the right size pods they will fit over the hose. I ran my 80 like that last year for 2k miles and it worked fine. You want to keep the air flow smooth and without any restriction or turbulence.

Attachments

• DSC02200.jpg
    DSC02200.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC02201.jpg
    DSC02201.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 258
My understanding is that by routing the crankcase vent back into the carbs it creates a vacuum effect within the motor. This is an intended purpose which helps the rings seat and motor run more efficiently(incluing emissions). I'm also pondering if the extra intake length would be beneficial in creating more charged air into the motor. Considering I just rebuilt the motor, I'd like to play it on the safe side:D

XSChris, are those 48mm pods fitted on the end of the h-pipe?

I actually think I am going to try to go back this route as well.. With all the on and offs my carbs are doing, its such a pain to pull of the 54mm Pods with the stock battery box they JUST fit in there.. its worse then removing the actual carbs!

The H-pipe would avoid all of that since it pulls apart outwards from the bike rather then back against the batterbox.

I am pretty sure there is.. The stock battery box and stock H-pipe were used together so the certainly are made to work together.. in place of the stock airbox, the pods would connect. So unless you have huge pods you should be okay. Mine seem to fit okay.

This is what I get.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Okay I am digging up an old post here, but I am somewhat stumped on this issue.
I need to replace my filters are they are all breaking (http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14115).

I have a '79 XS400 and currently have the H-Pipe installed.
Could someone help me with my measurements?
1) OD on Carb = 52mm?
2) OD on filter end of H-Pipe = 52mm?
3) ID on filter end of H-Pipe = 48mm?

So in theory a filter with an ID of 52mm could fit on both the Carb and H-Pipe?

Back