Restoring a badly restored 82

Sorry for the delay. I've been better for a bit, but I've been very busy. I decided that my daughter doesn't need a morning nap anymore, partially so I can have a longer uninterupted period in the afternoon to work on the bike, but it seems that instead she just isn't sleeping at all.

But we shall persevere.

In the meantime, I got the engine up onto my workbench and under the halogens. Here's why I'm bothering to replace the head gasket:

wpid-2011-04-16-13.31.46.jpg

You can see that the left hand cylinder is leaking oil. I'm hoping when I open her up that it's just the seals, and not something bigger.

Before opening her up, I wanted to get her nice and clean. As you can see, her bottom is a little dirty:

wpid-2011-04-16-13.50.28.jpg

She still needs some work, but she's looking better:

wpid-2011-04-16-14.00.03.jpg

I had better luck with the back and sprocket area:

wpid-2011-04-16-14.21.54.jpg

wpid-2011-04-16-14.21.47.jpg

And then I finally took off the cam cover:

wpid-2011-04-16-14.44.52.jpg

I love how that looks. I stopped there because I realized I still didn't have my new gaskets, and there's no use moving forward without them. Tonight I instead pulled the rear swingarm to inspect the rear brake, rear shock absorber, and make everything clean, and I have a few shots to share, but right now they're stuck in my phone.

So, until tomorrow!

I have to admit, there are places I could never reach without removing the engine and swing arm. But you wouldn't want to do this every spring. Maybe every couple of years, though.

I can also see the disadvantage of polishing the wrong bits on the engine. If you can't reach the sections you've polished, they're going to look real bad real soon.

Last night I had some time, and no gaskets, so I turned my attention to the frame for a bit. For the most part, it's in really good shape. There isn't even much surface rust, and so I'm not going to have to touch it. I was a little concerned about the gunk on the swingarm, though. Here's the before picture:

wpid-2011-04-19-12.57.42.jpg

The swingarm came off easily enough, but I was horrified once I started cleaning it with some engine degreaser. The black paint was coming off! But hang on, now the alignment marks were appearing, and they were silver. A quick check on google images confirmed that the swingarm is not supposed to be black - it's supposed to be silver. That's a lot of grime.

While cleaning:

wpid-2011-04-19-17.55.30.jpg

I reinstalled everything, retorqued the bolts, and then removed the front fender so I could inspect the front brake. The caliper is in great shape, and should just need a bit of cleaning.

With the fender off, you can really get an idea of what a chopped XS might look like:

wpid-2011-04-19-20.02.40.jpg

Um... I suppose it would just need an engine. More on that later!

What did you use to clean your engine? outside and inside, I think i might wanna do that to mine. Thanks! (be advised I am a newby at all of this)

I just picked up a gallon of no name engine degreaser. It's toluene and kerosene. It evaporates leaving no residue, and just melts the grime and built up chain grease. We carry it at pretty much any auto supply store.

Well, soaked a cloth, and rubbed furiously. You would need a ton of degreaser to soak the engine!

I also got some corrugated cardboard that was sitting around, folded some soaked rags over it, and used that to clean out between the fins on the engine.

The chain you can soak, if you get it off the bike.

All right, so where were we. Here are the DOHCs:

wpid-2011-04-20-10.33.51.jpg

Which were carefully removed. Now it's a NOHC:

wpid-2011-04-20-14.10.24.jpg

I love egg cartons for this kind of work. It's like having little small parts dispensers that can get covered with oil, while making sure that I don't lose anything, and all the parts stay mated:

wpid-2011-04-20-14.10.30.jpg

I was really worried about losing the chain into the engine compartment.

wpid-2011-04-20-14.10.40.jpg

And here's what I found when I got the head off:

wpid-2011-04-20-14.32.03.jpg

You can see exactly where the oil was leaking out through the gasket on the bottom left of the photo.

I cleaned off the oil, grime, and gasket remainder using the flat of a screwdriver, a 3/4 inch chisel and tin foil, as well as lots of carb cleaner (is there anything carb cleaner can't do?)

While cleaning everything off, I discovered something that absolutely delighted me under all the grime at the front of the engine:

wpid-2011-04-20-14.48.57.jpg

An Easter Egg! This little logo is completely invisible when the engine is assembled, sitting between two fins on the engine. And especially when it's under all that grime.

After an hour or so of cleaning, it's all looking much better:

wpid-2011-04-20-15.40.27.jpg

And that's when I discovered that I was sent the wrong replacement gasket set. Which means I'm now stuck. Fortunately, there's still lots to do, such as cleaning the cylinder head, which will be tomorrow. Then, we paint!

That 81-82 transition from SOHC to DOHC seems to be causing a few people head aches when it comes to getting the right parts. Nice work so far, I hope to be doing the same soon.

I haven't looked at it yet, but it should have timing marks on the cam shaft and crank shaft. In fact, I guarantee it will. There may be dirt obscuring it or something though.

Once you find those pretty much any video on youtube explaining timing on a 4stroke motor should work if you don't have a manual.

EDIT

SOHC:

Set left cylinder to TDC (LT mark on the rotor)
Feed timing chain through
Insert camshaft so that the bolt-hole 'pip' is pointing straight up (beveled border with a protruding timing mark)
Double-check that left cylinder is still at TDC
Insert bolt into camshaft sprocket with locktite
Rotate cam and engine to gain access to second camshaft bolt
Tighten bolts on camshaft evenly
Fit chain guide
Compress tension plunger with screw
Install cam chain tensioner blade
Decompress tensioner

I can give you more detail if you need it.

Last edited:
Back