Rotor bolt help

Nolanb

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, hoping to get some quick help here. I have an 81' xs400 sh model and I am going through replacing gaskets from a kit I got from mikes. Anyways. I am stumped on how the rotor bolt comes off where you can advance or retard the timing. So i can take off the cam chain tensioner, can chain and shaft itself. I have a manual(electronic) but it is not giving me the correct steps. Here are some pictures as to where I mean.
20180217_155039.jpg

You don’t need to remove that bolt unless you are disassembling the engine.
Timing can be adjusted by loosening the two pictured phillips(JIS) screws that secure the pickup coil (black plastic) plate.

It’s also not the rotor bolt, which makes me wonder what procedure you are trying to follow.
You will need to expose the rotor timing marks and rotor bolt. Both are under the generator cover lower on the engine.
Again, you won’t actually remove the rotor bolt.
Or cam chain or chain tensioner.

Trying to follow the procedure from the Haynes manual I believe it is the 75-84, so it is not exact for my specific model. I download from the this site. All i wanna do is replace the gaskets for the different sections of the cyclinder head. Appreciate the help you are trying to give.

Ok, yeah, take the bolt out.
Easiest may be to put a 17mm wrench on the actual rotor bolt under the alternator cover, block it against something so the crank and camshaft can't rotate, then undo the bolt in your picture.
Take out the pickup coil, valve cover, camshaft, etc.
Once the valve cover is off the Haynes instructions should work out. I disassembled my top end with it.

Back