Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Right

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Forde

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, it's been quite a while!

Ever since the newest Triumph scrambler came out, I have been pining after a pair of high pipes. Couple that with my friend purchasing a cabin in Northern Wisconsin (offroading trails like you wouldn't believe), and you have the recipe for entering into a scrambler pipe build.

Now I have searched the forum high and low for a custom exhaust build but nothing has quite reached the level of detail that I am looking for. Long story short, I want something like a CL350 mixed with a Triumph scrambler (see pictures). That means a left side exhaust that runs over the stator to just behind the rider, but with some interlocking bends and some great heat guards. However, I have not seen something like this done for a '78 SOHC

My question is what should I be looking for in terms of exhaust diameter based on the stock dual walled headers? I have read that 1.5" OD could possibly work, but would 1.375" or 1.25" be a better idea? What would a good inner diameter be? I already have an open exhaust that seems to be tuned right and runs well enough to go 100+ miles at a time.

FYI I will be having a company do mandrel bends in 304 and then TIG it together myself with the appropriate engine mounting points and a dime city cycles reverse cone muffler.

Here is my XS, and my inspiration.

Also I recognize the pipes are a bit blued from running lean. That is from the previous owner.
XS400.jpg
Triumph.jpg
CL350.jpg

Attachments

• XS400.jpg
    XS400.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 364
  • XS400.jpg
    XS400.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 362
  • XS400.jpg
    XS400.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 748
If your stand is on the left I'd put the pipes on the right, it shows them off the best when the bike is on the stand. Sorry I can't help with the math or theory on pipe design. I've done a few exhausts and always been able to get the bike to run well across the whole throttle and rpm range. I like to include a removable baffle at the exhaust exit that gives me another thing to tune with. I adjust the restriction by slotting or welding up holes in the baffle. The first two bikes I did I was able to re-tune the bike with baffle mods only. My XS400 required re-jetting after I went as far as I could with the baffle.

@sandmanred thank you for the baffle idea and design considerations, that makes a ton of sense. Those baffles could be almost like the snuffler nuts on the old CL77s.

Back