Should my 82 DOHC have an oil screen?

mikemanray

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just changed my oil on my '82 XS400RJ Seca. I looked here a bit first, and saw people talk about removing the oil screen and cleaning it out as well. Most write-ups here are for SOHC, but I found the cover with 6 allen bolts and figured mine would be in there.

There is some kind of housing in there, but mine is empty! Should there be an oil screen on my DOHC bike? Or did they leave a space for it but stop using it at some point? I can't find any mention of the screen (or pre-filter) in the manuals posted on this site for the DOHC bike; not even in the oil change guide.

Also, I'll put this here: my bike currently has 7676 miles on it (I'll use this post to remember when I last changed my oil :) )

Thanks!

-Mike

you mean something else besides the oil filter?

if you have this it should be fine
DSC05972.jpg

It seems they do. I don't have a dohc bike so not sure on how to get to it but I would think it is in the manual.

Last edited:
My dohc doesn't have anything either. And both the service manual and the owner's manual are silent on the matter.
I just keep changing that funny looking thing which Willem pictured, and so far it hasn't exploded. Don't over-torque the cover bolt though - 11 ft.lbs., that's all.

... I'll put this here: my bike currently has 7676 miles on it (I'll use this post to remember when I last changed my oil :) ) Thanks! -Mike
Reminds me of how NASA spent millions of dollars to invent and manufacture a ball-point pen which would flow the ink so astronauts could write in zero gravity. The Russians saved money and eliminated any risk of maintenance or mechanical failure by using a pencil and paper.

My dohc doesn't have anything either. And both the service manual and the owner's manual are silent on the matter.
I just keep changing that funny looking thing which Willem pictured, and so far it hasn't exploded. Don't over-torque the cover bolt though - 11 ft.lbs., that's all.

Reminds me of how NASA spent millions of dollars to invent and manufacture a ball-point pen which would flow the ink so astronauts could write in zero gravity. The Russians saved money and eliminated any risk of maintenance or mechanical failure by using a pencil and paper.

Thanks! I don't think I'll take that cover off again. I did replace the oil filter, no worries there. It is kinda cool though; you can see the bottom end of the transmission through the opening!

And yes, torqued the filter cover bolt to 11 ft-lbs, and the oil drain bolt to 31 ft-lbs.

This forum is great! I wish it existed back when I first bought the bike. Would have made things much easier.

Back