Skillzmans XS 400 Cafe build...yep another cafe!!

nah...on second thought that would look corny...I just googled the translation!!LOL
LOL! If you like the colors, then what about using the white base coat with the black stripe down the center, but use the yellow and purple colors in a "hot rod style" pin striping down the center of the tank. I know it has been done a million times before, but with the colors you have and a white frame, I think it would be different enough to stand out. Just a suggestion though.

decisions decisions...but with the cost of paint today...I better get it right the first time!!

I've been working on bending/welding the rear frame rails...and making my own tail section the last couple of days...coming along...but starting to make buying a premade tail alot more appealing!!

decisions decisions...but with the cost of paint today...I better get it right the first time!!

I've been working on bending/welding the rear frame rails...and making my own tail section the last couple of days...coming along...but starting to make buying a premade tail alot more appealing!!
Yeah, I know what you mean about paint. If you are going to spray it from a gun, I would look into Duplicolor's Paint Shop....it's fairly priced, is available at most auto parts stores, and best of all it comes pre-mixed and ready to spray. They have the primer, clear, and even some candy colors. The color selection isn't great, but you can just mix the colors from the can and make your own custom color. I think that's the route I may go.

You should post a few pics of your progress so far so we can see. From the pics of your work before, I am looking forward to seeing where this build goes!

yeah...its a mess so far...not much progress to show...in a few days I should have the tail in primer...maybe a seat pan.
I havent gone too far into the bike..still trying to diagnos the spark issues...so I'm leaving it intact mostly so I can maybe hear it run/fire...but pretty soon I'm gonna strip either way.
I have a brother that works for a body supply shop local..PPG products...but in this economy they dont give out much for discounts....I do get to go behind the door and pick thru the mis-tints...the discount on the mis-tints is equal to what I used to pay a few years back for the regular stuff!!??!!LOL

I looked up the duplicolor...fairly priced...but its a lacquer system..never used lacquer before..anybody else...hows it compare to urethane?
Lacquer is more of the old style of painting. It usually involves more coats, and more clear to give a depth. For something as small as a motorcycle, I don't think this matters as much, since the cost won't make much of a difference. The only bad thing about using lacquer is that it doesn't like gasoline at all. If I choose to use this system, I will be using a urethane clear over the Paint Shop base coat, just in case I spill gas on the tank. The Duplicolor website listed that the product should be compatible with most urethane clears, and listed a few specific ones. I know there are better products, but for the DIYer and for the price, it definitely can be made to work. I may not even go with it myself, since they don't really have the exact color I want, but I'm not going to rule out mixing my colors with it and trying it out.

Yeah..I remember my uncle...mentor in body work...talking about 8-10 coats hand rubbed lacquer paint jobs and the depth they gave.
For the price it certainly seems a worthy thing to try.
When I painted the purple flames on the orange tank a few weeks back,I went to PPG to get some purple metallic...ppg custom purple metallic...4oz.....$100?????????
regular gm purple metal flake from a '99 code book....$52 for 8oz.???
Ended up using the purple transparent I had bought 4 yrs ago...just sprayed it over silver metallic...
I have a few customers that want paint work...but the pricing gets scary when you let them pick custom colors and try to give a reasonable price...at those costs you tend to start turning people off.
I'll have to stop at advance auto and see what they have for colors and prices.
Thanks for the tips!!
-Matt

Yeah..I remember my uncle...mentor in body work...talking about 8-10 coats hand rubbed lacquer paint jobs and the depth they gave.
For the price it certainly seems a worthy thing to try.
When I painted the purple flames on the orange tank a few weeks back,I went to PPG to get some purple metallic...ppg custom purple metallic...4oz.....$100?????????
regular gm purple metal flake from a '99 code book....$52 for 8oz.???
Ended up using the purple transparent I had bought 4 yrs ago...just sprayed it over silver metallic...
I have a few customers that want paint work...but the pricing gets scary when you let them pick custom colors and try to give a reasonable price...at those costs you tend to start turning people off.
I'll have to stop at advance auto and see what they have for colors and prices.
Thanks for the tips!!
-Matt
Yeah, I know what you mean. I went to Lincoln Technical Institute in Indianapolis, IN for auto collision and refinishing. I don't really have a career in the field (caught onto a job that offered way better pay, benefits, and time off than most body shops), but I do still do a few jobs for friends on the side.

Just discovered this forum today. I just picked up an early 77 XS400 with wire wheels and drum brakes. I was happy to find this variation to build up a simple cafe bike. The twin leading shoe drum brake is a very vintage looking item. Disc brakes will be far superior if you are planning to ride a lot at speed, they would be more effective. But the drum brakes will be fine as long as they are set up correctly.

thanks for the feedback folks....I've hit a stopping point called lack of funds to continue....its in the daydreaming stage at the moment.
trying to fabricate frame tube/sheet metal etc,.. with a sawzall and cutting torches is really cramping my style.
I love watching bike builder/ car builder shows on the tv,.. because I know I can do most of the stuff....but without a few more specific tools...its a long aggravating process for me...that and I'm working totally alone at a time where extra hands are pretty much needed.
If I can get thru the next month or so with the bills,things should start to pick up again.
I have my scheme in mind....and it should look pretty good when done...but I dont want to spoil the surprise just yet!

thanks for the feedback folks....I've hit a stopping point called lack of funds to continue....its in the daydreaming stage at the moment.
trying to fabricate frame tube/sheet metal etc,.. with a sawzall and cutting torches is really cramping my style.
I love watching bike builder/ car builder shows on the tv,.. because I know I can do most of the stuff....but without a few more specific tools...its a long aggravating process for me...that and I'm working totally alone at a time where extra hands are pretty much needed.
If I can get thru the next month or so with the bills,things should start to pick up again.
I have my scheme in mind....and it should look pretty good when done...but I dont want to spoil the surprise just yet!
Sorry to hear about your slow-down. I'm in sort of the same boat. With the holidays, new furniture, and decorations, I've been so busy I haven't touched the bike in about 3 weeks. It just sits in a pile of parts, next to its bare frame. Kinda sad to look at really. I hope to start ordering a few parts, and start working on it again soon.

You know I used to be 'in demand'.....but I cant even buy a job around here anymore...great economy.
Not the only person in that boat anymore....something always seems to pop up at just the right time thankfully.
Just have to be industrious and humble enough to do what it takes.:shrug:
Enough of that BS....back to bikes!!!!!!!!!!

anybody know where I can find cording for upholstering a bike seat...I looked around on the internet...didnt come up with much.
I need orange for trimming the black vinyl....(thats a clue on my scheme)

You know I used to be 'in demand'.....but I cant even buy a job around here anymore...great economy.
Not the only person in that boat anymore....something always seems to pop up at just the right time thankfully.
Just have to be industrious and humble enough to do what it takes.:shrug:
Enough of that BS....back to bikes!!!!!!!!!!

anybody know where I can find cording for upholstering a bike seat...I looked around on the internet...didnt come up with much.
I need orange for trimming the black vinyl....(thats a clue on my scheme)
Are you talking about piping?

Orange and Black.....Halloween theme?? lol just kidding

piping/cording...I've searched both...talked to a seamstress friend of mine...she makes her own...suppose thats the route to go...tag along to the fabric store one day......its ok its for a motorcycle!!

If I go halloween style I'll have to ride with a Michael Meyers mask on...that should freak people out!!LOL

piping/cording...I've searched both...talked to a seamstress friend of mine...she makes her own...suppose thats the route to go...tag along to the fabric store one day......its ok its for a motorcycle!!

If I go halloween style I'll have to ride with a Michael Meyers mask on...that should freak people out!!LOL
I've been to the fabric store many times.....headiners, garage stool coverings, etc. It's fine if it's for "manly" reasons....or at least that's what I tell myself. lol The old ladies usually look at me a little crazy, but oh well. lol

I would do the mask thing for sure! I saw a full-face helmet on Craigslist awhile back that was molded into the shape of a skull. I thought about getting it just to see people's reactions!

Back