speedo gear reversed after alterations

mil1638

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, after finishing my project, and finally getting a road test , i have found my speedo display being inop, due to speedo drive going wrong way( if cable manually turned other way speedo works)
I am completely responsible for this as i have altered the front end so speedo drive is now on the right side of wheel (hence going in reverse from standard) instead of the standard left side fitting ( an oversight).
Can anyone offer an easy solution?
I know i could go digital but would like to keep original clocks:shrug:

Last edited:
that would be one solution, but brings about a whole load of issues. In order to do so i would have to swap forks from left to right, (possible) but would mean that the front brake caliper would then be mounted forward of the fork.
So, i suppose, the question is that would this cause a reduction of brake efficiency or would it actually be safe, has anyone done it that way??

The caliper is mounted in front of the forks on my '72 XS650 and behind the forks on my '80 XS400. Both stop just fine. Seems to me you should just put it back on the other side...

Ok, ill give it a go (once the weldflash is gone from my eyes). Just couldn't remember ever seeing a bike with front mounted calipers and was a bit unsure, although i am quite willing to stand corrected :)

Back