Speedometer replacement question

BakedOregonian

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. The speedometer needle on my '83 Maxim dohc is busted and it just spins when I ride. An original replacement is expensive and I don't like the bulkiness of it anyways.

Can I take the whole "box" off and use a phone mount and my phone as a speedometer? I'd like to 'clean up' my handlebars a bit.

I would like to have a smaller, single, circular speedometer that tells if the bikes in neutral, if it exists.

Something that wouldn't be a pain to install with minimal tools and experience. I'm not even sure if that's a big deal to have the neutral indicator.

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

Simple solution would be to find a used one on here or EBay.. Probably find one for $10

Yep if this would have popped up a few months ago I had one I would have given away............long gone now I was tired of holding onto it.

Damn, yeah they're looking to be over a hundred bucks now. I honestly don't want the original replacement, as it is so bulky. I see some nice ones that are much smalle for between $50-$100, but I don't know if they are universal and how easy it is to replace. Then I read about guys using GPS's as speedometers, which added more questions lol

Back