stator ohms

bruss

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know you guys are probably TIRED of these charging questions.. but ! if i get .9 ohms across all the 3 white wires at the connector am i safe to assume the stator wiring is ok ?

yes, .9 is a bit low. It means there's something wrong.

The stator is easy to remove and easy to check.

drop the oil into a container and save it.
remove and keep the bolts over the sprocket cover and stator organized by putting them through a cardboard panel. Pizza box is fine. Just poke the same holes that are on the covers and keep the bolts where they correspond with the holes.

Once inside you want to look at the condition of the stator windings and find out if they're charred or burned anywhere. If so, replace, otherwise it's usually a short in the wires leaving the stator on the way to the harness.

You often need to peel back the fiber covering on the wires to find splits and cracks.
A rewire is not too hard, though it takes patience.

Carefully reassemble and seal with a clean, sharp bead of black permatex gasket sealant. finger tighten the bolts and after about an hour, torque them back down. Don't over tighten or you'll crack the covers.

Good luck, report back.

Drewcifer.

Don't forget to keep bolts organized! Pizza is crucial!

and since you drop the oil first it's a clean job.

Don't forget to put it back in before you start over again.

if your ohms are 1.5 or so after you remove the stator, then the fault is a hidden break or exposed section of wiring. You'll find it like I did.

Drewcifer

im doing it as time permits..i got it all apart right now..i assume i have to follow each wire to the individual plug as they were originally ? i dont get why they used all the same color wires

They shouldn't be the same. They should be three yellow and one white. either yours are faded or super dirty. Please show us a picture of what you see.

Upload a picture to your albums in your profile and then cut and paste the BB Code below the photo into your reply and we will see the picture.

Drew

On a yamaha the wires are three white and one yellow. Only on hondas is the 4th wire yellow and hey have the black and white going into the stator on the same bundle. So you're either not looking closely enough, didn't degrease them, or your stator is on the wrong bike. Again, please post a photo.

Drew

IMG_0426.JPG

You need to completely unwrap your stator wires and degrease them. You can't see anything under all that muck. Those wires look yellow to me.

Pine sol is the best, if not that, go to a bulk supplier like smart and final and look for first street heavy duty cleaner/degreaser. It's amazing.

See? there you go.

I'd pretty much advocate the stator wiring inspection for anyone with this bike. Just because yours aren't crappy doesn't mean they won't fail soon. All our bikes are almost vintage at this point.

Boat wiring will be fine. It's corrosion proof. See Drewpy's rewiring writeup, and mine too.

Domains,

I just kept encouraging him to find why he was low on ohms. Once he found the wires he saw them broken inside on his own.

Proud Poppa beaming :)

Serious degreasing will reveal the same flaw on all xs bikes. The wiring shell hardens, and cuts through the wires after 30 years.

Drewcifer

it was a mess.. i rewired..but still at .9 ohms, i didnt finish putting it all back together..but i think im gonna have to dig further

yep.. i did 1 wire at a time, i should try a different meter too, it was a needed repair anyway..the old wires literally fell apart

Back