Sticky? weird clutch lever

MechNewb

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone, On my bike, the clutch lever seems to not retract completely when I let it go. It feels fine when I pull it in, but when I let go, the lever doesnt snap back like it should and you can still see some cable. between the actual handle part and the rest of thelever mount. Hopefully that makes sense to you all.

Would taking off the cable and lubing it help? Does the clutch need to be adjusted through the black cap on the side? Or is this a sign of another problem? The bike does have 50k on it and im not sure how old the clutch is or if it has been replaced at all.

Lubeing the cable won't hurt, but it may be too late for the cable. At least the replacements are not very expensive and are still available. While you are at it, also check the lever pivot. They tend to wear quickly when the cable friction gets high.

The springs on the clutch basket (right side of the engine) are what actually push the push-rod back out and ultimately return the lever to its original starting position. While these springs do wear out over time, they usually don't interfere with lever operation; they would tend to cause problems like slipping clutch discs.

If your lever is not returning I think it is more likely that there is a breakdown or maladjustment somewhere on the left side of the engine behind the front sprocket cover.

Make sure all the parts are there including the ball bearings and that everything is connected properly. An exploded parts diagram would be helpful. You'll want to grease the lifter.

Even if your clutch was just out of adjustment it will still return normally at the lever; you'll just pop in to gear too early or too late for your own preference, but again, this won't normally affect the way the lever itself behaves.

Mine started doing something similar a couple of years ago. When I took a closer look the cable was down to two strands right at the lever :yikes:. It was a cheap and easy replacement. I am just glad I found it in the garage at home and not miles away.

Gidday MechnewB,
I think the lads have basicly covered it but thought I might throw my bit in here as I have just been through this myself. Did you remove the cable from the bike? You can feel any obstructions present. Have you had the sprocket cover off? I did to mine and found that the push lever assembly and housing extremely filthy. Dont lose the ball bearing when you pull it off. Have you tried 'Dry fitting' the clutch lever? Upon inspecting mine, I found that where the cable attaches to the lever, it had worn into a rather elongated oval. So, after a new lever, new cable and a degrease and lube, I still had no clutch. :banghead: I removed the clutch housing only to find my plates had stuck together because the bike had sat for 6 years. DOH! I bought a set of vernier callipers and measured friction plate thickness and clutch spring free length. They were perfect. Simple reassembly and BINGO! Poppin' wheelies like a mad man. I love the simplicity of these old machines. Cheers.

Back