Stripped Spark Plug Hole 1978 XS400

kshansen

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Not my fault must have been previous owner, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. But then the last owner did get the bike from me a few years back! He gave it back when his father in-law gave him a 1982 XS400. That father in-law would be my brother who got the 1982 XS400 from me!

Anyhow back to the title of this thread. The 1978 XS400 has some very weak threads on the right cylinder, takes maybe five minutes of careful work to get the plug started straight and screwed in the full way. I'm sure with little work one could easily destroy what is left of the threads.

After spending a good amount of time online some of it watching very poorly done Youtube videos I made two decisions. First I won't be doing a video of my attempt to install a thread repair. Second I was going to go with one of the solid bushing type kits as opposed to the spring like Heil-i-Coil kits. I have had very good luck in some very demanding applications using the Heil-i-Coil kits, but in an application with frequent install and remove like a spark plug the solid bushing type just seems a better choice.

The kit I have decided on is the OEM Thread Kit Part Number 25647. One thing I liked about this kit is that it has a knurled area at the top thread area and once it is screwed into the head there is a supplied tool that is used to slightly expand this knurled section into the head to lock it in place. One thing I did not like is the kit comes with three different thread insert, basically short medium and long. The long one looks right for the Yamaha. They do sell extra inserts Part Number 25648 but again they come in packages of three different lengths, two each this time. This was not a major put off for me as I know I have at least a couple lawnmower or snowblower engines that will need an insert some day. The kit I got was $29.99 and the six extra inserts were $11.99 from AutoZone.

I'm planning on doing the job in the next day or so and will try to get some good still pictures and post them a link to them.

Looks like a good kit. Did the grease catch all the metal bits?

Not 100%.

But I had made sure engine was on the compression stroke on the cylinder I was working on. Then after cleaning around hole before removing the tap I backed the tap out and used a plastic plug to seal the hole and cleaned around the hole. Then used kick starter to move the piston up near top and used an air gun to blow out the cylinder. A few chips came out and as I had been careful to have it on the compression stroke they could not get stuck up in the valves. I have a small inspection light so I was able to see a good amount of the top of piston and it all looked clean.

It has set over night to let the sealant cure so I'll probably put the plugs back in and start it up today to make sure anything left in is blown out the exhaust.

If this was a 5 hp Briggs flat hear engine I'd probably pull the head to to the job, but with the amount of work to remove and replace the head on an XS400 I figured it was worth the chance.

Back