Tachometer/speedometer plastic cover removal?

karatekid1194

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I was riding the other day and looked at the tach to find that one of the tiny screws behind the glass (the ones that hold the thin paper with rpm readings on it) got rattled loose and is just sitting at the bottom of the tachometer taunting me. I took the tach out and tried to get the glass cover off but failed to figure it out. Any help would be wonderful as I didn't want to start prying and break anything! thanks in advance.

I believe that the glass is held in place by a metal ring that is crimped onto the gauge. It is a delicate process to un-crimp it to remove the glass.

Be sure to use some thread locker when you put the screw back in so you don't have to do it again in a year.

Alright that sounds like the absolute stupidest way for them to put that cover on... I'm not sure I'll try taking it apart then because i'm not sure I can get it to work right again. Maybe just buy a new tach and put it in at the end of the season. That screw is gonna annoy me tho. I'll letcha know what I do lol. It will prolly involve cursing.

Replacing a bulb is much easier. You dont have to take the face off. Just unbolt the tach on the back of the chrome bucket it sits in and it comes right out. The bulbs can be accessed from there.

Hi, I was riding the other day and looked at the tach to find that one of the tiny screws behind the glass (the ones that hold the thin paper with rpm readings on it) got rattled loose and is just sitting at the bottom of the tachometer taunting me. I took the tach out and tried to get the glass cover off but failed to figure it out. Any help would be wonderful as I didn't want to start prying and break anything! thanks in advance.
Just found the same problem on my 81' XS400. Were you able to remove the glass from the tachometer and put it back together?

I had to do this some time ago, once the nuts are off the back, (I seem to remember) the glass will come out. I believe I had found some YouTube videos at that time. I seem to remember one of our german readers found a link to upgrading the tach face from our cousin web site (in germany, I used chrome with it translated) I just can not find that site again.

http://www.xs400.com/threads/tachometer-speedometer-plastic-cover-removal.9990/#post-103573

Now that I am thinking of it, and reviewed these searches. I used a small bladed flat screw driver, and twisted up the crimped on chrome ring (side facing bucket) and then after repair (I would consider some sort of thread lock) since the re crimp will never be as good as the original job, I use a silicon tape, to help waterproof ... good luck

Back