The Mule: '77 XS400

I think I should change the name of this project to "Nightmare". It seems like everything I touch uncovers more shoddy work.

One bright light in it all was meeting Mitch from Vulgar Cycles. He had a booth at the Charlotte CycleMania/Mods vs. Rockers event.
I hauled the bike up to him and he did a great job of getting the rear sets mounted PROPERLY.
We're still waiting on a couple of shifter and linkage parts to show up, but at least now I can have a functional rear brake and correct (not upside down) shift pattern.

He also made up a neat ignition switch holder....

And a bracket for the tail light. The P.O. had used a combination of booger welds, aftermarket tail light, stock lens and hot glue. It all crumbled the first time I removed the seat.
This will allow me to run a readily available tail light.

Right now, I'm in need of some head pipes.....anyone have a set they can spare?

Then, next up is to straighten out the horrible wiring. I'll be installing stock handle bar risers and Clubmans, so the ergonomics will be MUCH better.

After that, fork seals and fresh oil, then work on a couple of oil leaks.

At that point, I SHOULD be down to just cosmetics...if I don't push this thing off a cliff first!

Keep it it and you will get there. Your bike is a good example why I tell people NOT to buy a "custom" bike:wink2: Most often the seller wants too much money and the work is crappy.

just keep at it ive been banging on mine for almost 2 years on and off. at least your bike knows what it is compared to mine which i class as rat chop bob

Back