The Mule: '77 XS400

I knew the bike had exhaust leaks, so I ordered some new gaskets. The RH side went on fine. On the LH side I found this:

The P.O. had already stacked two gaskets in there.

Hmmm, it looks like he welded a nut onto a smaller stud. No problem, lets just back it out.
Nope. About 5 lbs. of torque and....

No problem. We actually have a spare stud on hand. We'll just drill this out, remove it and fix it properly.

Except, A) our bits are dull, and B ) the stud seems hardened...maybe from the welding.
We had to stop for the day, but it WILL be fixed properly.

Time to drill it out and tap new threads. I had to do this before :(

I have also found the hardware on this bike to be very difficult to drill. It's super hard.

It's a metal seat pan. The P.O. made it and it's actually pretty cool. Fits nice and has great lines. The tail light is built in and tucked under the rear. I really dig it.

Man! That exhaust stud is hard! We're going to try with a carbide bit, soon. I really hope to not have to pull the engine and, especially, the head.

I believe I got one of those out with a very small cobalt bit. Just be careful. The harder the bit the more brittle it is. Too much pressure will snap it like a tooth pick and you're out like $7 for that tiny bit! I had no success starting with anything even close to the size of the stud. I went very small to start.

The kicker was just sitting on the....shaft? Whatta ya call that part?

Anyway, it was cheaper to order the missing parts from Partzilla than to get a used kicker.

All fixed up and works properly now. I wrapped the end with hockey stick/batters tape.

Notice the oil on the clutch cover? I was half expecting to find a bad kick shaft seal, but luckily, in a way, it's just a broken dip stick cover. (crappy pic...sorry)
Anyone have a good oil dip stick they'd sell me?

Also started working on the tach mount.

Epoxied the floating screws in the tach housing (hate those things...) and gave the bucket a quick shot of paint...

Gonna load her up in the van today and take her to a local shop. We can't do anything with the exhaust stud and they said they can get it out, even if they have to put a TimeSert in.
Stay tuned....

Good progress:thumbsup: Don't forget to remove that plug over you crank case breather tube and put a hose on it to your H-pipe:wink2:

Last edited:
good luck on the dipstick! when i was searching for one i found people were selling the whole cover plus the stick for cheaper than the people selling only the dipstick.

Finally got the bike back and the exhaust stud is repaired! Got the pipes installed and took it for a short test run around the neighborhood today.

I need to put a few test miles on it for Pamco Pete so he can evaluate the prototype Pamco ignition. After that, I can take it down for brief periods to address a few things:

-sort out and neaten up wiring.

-address an oil drip from the drain plug....I think the washer on there isn't actually a crush washer.

-Get tabs welded on to mount proper rear sets. The GP shift pattern is easier than I thought, but the current rear brake is just a suggestion. :rolleyes:

-"pretty her up" a little bit.

I got about 45 minutes in on her today. I gotta say, that little %*@#er RIPS!

The ergonomics are awful for me. I'm 6'1" and 180 lbs. I'm already in contact with a forum member about some handle bar risers so I can replace the clip-ons with Clubmans. That, and getting some actual rear sets (and a working rear brake!!) will really help matters.

It needs a little work, but I can handle it. I just need another couple of hours of ride time for Pete before I can tear into it too much.

Well, between header wrap and exhaust leaks, this is what happens.

The P.O. really did a number on the pipes, too. They were a combination of stock head pipes, muffler shop tubing and poor welds.

Back