The Mule: '77 XS400

That little screw,top left of the hole, is what holds in the tach cable. It looks like there might be a broken off tach cable in there or something the PO put in there to plug the hole so oil doesn't come out. If you want to remove it and put in a new tach cable just take out the screw. Until you have the new cable to put in there you should leave it be because it is keeping the oil from coming out.

I bought a machined plug from a member on here to plug the hole. Can't remember his name but it fits in there perfectly since I'm running a mini speedo only.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing from the tach drive? I'd like to add a tach if it's simple enough.

Also, what's the ratio for the XS400 tach and speedo?

Cable looks like it has broken off. Unscrew the bolt next to it and it should pull out.

Checked this morning and it appears that's the tach drive spinning in there.
I also found an XS650 tach in my pile of parts. It's a 10k rim tach , so that'll do for now. All I need is a cable.

This is the bit that is still in there.

Attachments

• DSC02398.jpg
    DSC02398.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 231
After looking closer to your pic I was wrong :laugh: That is the drive end sticking out:doh:

Well, the XS650 cable won't work, so I picked on up from eBay.

We also started cleaning up the wiring. In the headlight bucket, at least. Made some nice connectors vs. the iffy looking solder.

In my XS650 pile, I did find an ignition switch and gas cap. The cap is too long, but the key fits the tumbler (even though the numbers are different). I plan on swapping this tumbler over to the XS400 cap (the tumbler in the is SHOT. The P.O. used a screw driver).
I'll also use this ignition switch so we can have a keyed ignition.

And this is the XS650 tach. The redline is lower than the XS400, but I'd rather have this than nothing at all.
I plan to center mount it by modifying the stock bracket. I need to dig around and find two more of those rubber snubber things that mount it in the triple tree.

Might use the high beam indicator as a neutral light or something.

I spent about $16 shipped for an XS400 tach cable, but otherwise, all of this stuff was FREE!

Curious how bad it is to change the lock on the gas cap; PO of my bike used a screwdriver, too. I need to change ignition, gas cap, but probably not the seat/helmet lock (likely delete).

It's easy two screws and it all comes apart.

Attachments

• DSC02408.jpg
    DSC02408.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 223
They should use the same key unless they have been swapped out at some point. We need to stop hijacking this thread tho.

I don't mind the hijack. And XSChris answered your questions perfectly. However....the ignition switch and gas cap lock I have both have different numbers, BUT, the key works both of them for whatever reason.

Back