The new guy with a $285 build cost XS400 rigid-bob-chop

fazer1sniper

XS400 Member
Reaction score
In january I picked up a little 79 XS400 for $100 and began to do something outside my comfort zone... Build a hardtail chop.
Here's kinda of a quick play by play... The donor bike:
01-17-112.jpg

01-17-115.jpg

01-17-1110.jpg

$25 swap meet tank:
01-20-118.jpg

01-20-115.jpg

the forks and old KZ305 frame I started with:
01-17-11.jpg

My finished $285 hardtail little bar hopper. For the days when the FZ1 just dont feel right!
DSCN0593.jpg

DSCN0592.jpg

Build was so fun, I want to do a bigger one....looking for a donor bike again now.

I am not that much into bobs and chops anymore but I definitely like this one.

Great job!

A chop was never something I ever wanted to do. But it all kinda fell together that way. With a garage full of sport bike, cafe, my FZ1, and streetfighter it kinda fills a hole in the stable.

Beautiful bike, :yikes: it's the same style I want to do mine and will give me something to base off of till I get my own idea laid out.:wink2:

My question... How does one bob and chop their bike while still being able to pick up beautiful women for a ride... :confused: I don't go scooping up women on my Maxim xs400 (because their usually chasing ME down :thumbsup: ), but in all seriousness I wonder what kind of design template would work for that... because I notice they all have one-rider seats. :umm:

Dude... Your wife... she... she RIDES MOTORCYCLES!?!?! You sir are a lucky dog :D

Did you asemble that rear fender to the frame or weld it on?

@DCopp a Bitch pad you say? That would be an interesting mount.

the rear fender is mounted with two bolts per side amf the turn signals also hold it on. I wanred to stay away from fender struts for a cleaner look and the rear tire & fender gave to come off to change the battery. Turn signal: I want to replace them all with something more old school when I get the time.

Back