Tire size conversions - HELP

AirsoftNY

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the noobish question but I can't quite get a straight answer from Google.

The tires presently on my 1980 Special II are labeled:

front: 3.00 x 18
rear: 4.60 x 16

From what I'm reading 100/90 front and 120/90 rear replacements will fit?

thanks!

-Aaron

Perfect, thanks Chris!

Will a 100/90 front and 130/90 still fit these rims? I only ask because I'm looking at a set of Spitfires that are only available in these sizes. How oversize can you go on the stock rims?

--Aaron

I have a 130 on my 80 it does fit but I had to do a little shimming because the chain was hitting the chain. I included some pics of where I had to add a washer to give me a little wiggle room.

Last edited:
My son had a 130 Dunlop 404 on the rear of his '81. He bought it that way so I don't know if any mods were done to help it fit. I think you are good-to-go on the '80 & '81. Older ones mat have had more clearance issues.

I have a 100/90 on the front of my '80. No problems.

You do know these rims are tubeless, right? From '80 on but check for markings.

I got an '80 with tubeless tires (100/90 front Dunlop 404, 130/90 rear Dunlop 402) but there are tubes in them. I was told @ the dealer that bikes that have spokes were supposed to use tubes? :p

I have a 130 on my 80 it does fit but I had to do a little shimming because the chain was hitting the chain. I included some pics of where I had to add a washer to give me a little wiggle room.

Bringing this back............you had a 130 tire :eek: ;) and the chain was hitting ? I am asking as I have a 130 tire and its just a little tight for my liking.........

Dont want to drop to a 120 as I will need 2 new tires.......as I want them to match. I sure wish they just made a bunch of sizes that worked :laugh2:

No pics so thats why I am asking......

Last edited:
Its been a long time from when I had my bike like that and only ran it for a few hundred miles with it. I think I used a thin washer between the wheel and adjuster. It was still close to the chain but never hit. I was more worried about the swing arm that's why I used the washer. What year bike are you doing this with? The 120 tire will handle much better than the 130. Match tire won't matter as long as they are street tires. I have run non-matched tires for 20 yrs and 32k miles on these bikes without issues. Here is a pic of the bike with the 130 on the back. The pic is from spring 2012.
2811-1351105948-a34a851e0020daeb866b555daa94bd9b.jpg

Now thats odd as I got the sprocket from Mikes for it and it says 77 to 81........I dont think its dished either.......now am wondering if I get another sprocket......

Might just say screw it and buy a 120 tire instead. I have the old Coker Firestones on it and well they dont come in a 120 so if I want to keep the old style look as this one is just a cruiser not a driver.....its my run around for a few bike no long rides. But the chain os almost on the tire.....will look at what I can do.

Back