Total rebuild - suggestions welcome

Lonestar Cruzer

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have totally torn the engine apart now, and am cleaning everything as best I can. I will be posting pictures of everything once I get the grime off. Does anyone have any suggestions before I begin reassembly? Parts that would be better off being replaced than reused? Obviously new seals and gaskets everywhere. Going to be getting a 1/4" torque wrench before I begin reassembly, since my 3/8" might be overkill on an engine this small.

I will be doing a stage 1 port and polish on the head, and lapping the valves back into their seats. I'm going with a custom stainless H pipe from the head to the filters to promote better laminar flow as well.

Should be done with basic cleaning on the 13th, then will be polishing the engine exterior while waiting for some of the harder to find parts to get here from Europe. I'm on the fence about buying a new shift shaft for $70+intl shipping. The splines are pretty worn out on mine. I might just key and tap the end of the rod and fab up a shift lever when the bike goes back together.

I am new to this bike and am going to be watching this one. I just started my project and not sure what to do either.

Good luck with it!

Back