Trading a 97 WR250 for a 80 XS400: talk me out of it!

idhedge

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I don't go offroad as much as I could, and I would like to make a bike to be more enduro that motocross. A guy offered to trade my 97 WR250 for a running/driving 80 XS400 with drum brakes and wire wheels. The terms of the trade value the XS @ $1K. Any opinions welcome. What do?

$1000 for a running, driving XS is pretty on-spec for my market, but might be too much for somewhere like where xschris is at. Drums and wire wheels are the more desireable combo for these bikes, generally speaking, but that's down to personal taste to a certain extent.

I'm in Dallas, that's about par here also. I actually dig the wire wheels. And the guy says it has 11k miles on it. I'm inclined to pull the trigger

That's the mileage and price I paid for mine, and it's mags and was only semi-running; I frankly paid too much. Have you heard it running or gotten to take it for a run?

Yea, it's solid. I hate the stock handlebars and seat, missing front fender. I'm struggling to complain.

Thats what i did with one of my klr 250's. My klr was mechanically sound, with a ton of new shit. Friend of wifes wanted it bad....couldnt get his xs400 with 3000 original miles running...gave me 400 cash and his bike.

I put knobbies on it, my longer xs650 rear shocks and am going to make a skid plate. Pamco, new carb boots, and a carb cleaning with new butterfly shaft seals, raised front fender by.an inch, fork gaiters, mini speedometer, waiting for some olive drab military bags for it. Its a 79 2f with the front drum brake. Its pretty fun on gravel and dirt and shallow mud holes.

We dont have a ton of good off road here to warrant a db or dp, better suited for a scrambler really. All gravel and private farm land.

This is not helping me, the objective was to talk me out of the trade ...I am stoked to make this enduro now!

Haha, i was torn too, but decided since most off road here i can do with my versys if i decide too or a scrambler type bike i make out of the xs400, didnt need a more trail oriented bike like the mini klrs. The odd time i miss my klrs for ground clearance and going through the odd lake thats up to the seat. But that happens so little anyways.

One thing to be aware of if you're building an enduro/scrambler is that there isn't really much for high pipes or skidplates predesigned for this bike, so you'll be on your own for making or adapting parts. There are a decent number of taller 33mm forks floating around though, if that's something you want.

So far, havent found the stock forks to be awful unless you really hit rough stuff, or need a huge amountbof clearance. Skid plate ill be making out of aluminum. What other 33mm forks fit?

I noticed a lack of quick conversion parts to the scrambler. What I really want is a bolt on seat that doesn't have the double ass-groove.

Back