Trying to join your ranks - Sparkplug size question...

montyii

Monty
Reaction score
I've been lurking for awhile. I'm looking for a Cafe project bike. Had a dirtbike when i was a kid and have an xj600 secaII. Haven't been riding in awhile. Live in Charlotte, NC

I've found an xs400d I'm going to look at this weekend (if it doesn't get sold before then) I have a compression tester. I believe the sparkplug is 14mm but I don't know what size socket is needed to remove it... Feel free to PM me if you don't want to take up bandwidth.

I have a lot of ideas from all of your great builds. I hope that this purchase works out so I can get more involved. :bike:

Hi montyii, welcome to the site. I'm not sure if it depends on the plug brand but my NGK plugs take a 13/16 deep socket. Hope the buy goes well.

Thanks Chris - that is what I needed.

He dropped his price again so I hope it lasts until I can look at it. As long as the motor is ok I'll get it. It needs a new seat and grips, and a few other things, but they would have been replaced with my build, so it's a good fit..

My understanding is that 5/8" and 13/16" are far and away the most common spark plug socket sizes. The only other size you'll see with any regularity is 18mm, which is found almost exclusively on, you guessed it, Japanese motorcycles!

The plugs on my 82 XS400 Maxim take an 18mm socket.

If 13/16" is too big and 5/8" is too small, 18mm is probably what you need. Good luck!

I use a spark plug socket, comes in the socket sets we have here in blighty

Welcome to the forum BTW :thumbsup:

Update - Went and looked at the bike. It was not running and had the plugs out and the air cleaners off. Compression was around 120 in both. The rest of the bike was a mess. I could have gotten a good deal on it, but I decided to get a better bike out of the gates, even if it costs a few hundred more.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go back to lurking. Hopefully another one will show up. Slim pickings for bikes like this in Charlotte. If you have something forsale near by PM me!

Back