XS400 different models, and trying to find parts for yours

Gloves

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello. Just joined the forum, great site. I'm hoping this thread will help me, and anyone else new to working on these engines (after current members have replied).

My question is; what is the difference between the different xs400 models? Specifically, what parts can I order that will fit my engine / bike?

I have a 1982 XS400SJ Heritage Special. Rode it for years, never had to do anything besides replace the petcock, throttle cables and tires. However, it's been sitting in my garage for ten years without being ridden. I parked it after the motor was tired, making a loose chain type noise, spitting oil all over my plate from some leak, and lacking power. I've recently pulled the whole thing apart. Popped the topend off (found that the piston rings were compressed, guessing that's why it lacked power). I'm about to split the bottom end. Goal is a long term project to completely overhaul the engine...mostly for shits and giggles.

So when I'm ordering parts. Which parts will fit?

-Gloves

Not just for the 82 xs400sj. I'm hoping someone could reply explaining which 400 parts fit Anyother models. And what the difference between models is.

Welcome to the forum.

That's an awfully big question. The parts fiche diagrams and lists are a great place to start.
Cmsnl is my quick goto for part numbers: http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs400_model16837/
Oddly enough boats.net has a great cross-reference list for part numbers that fit multiple bikes. I think they have the parts fiches too.

There have been a few threads like this before. Might have been other info posted previously.

Back