turn signal electrical short

sorry for poor sound quality but im glad you guys noticed the noise and rough idle when cold. after reading that some valvetrain noise is common on these aircooled machines I thought it would be best to idle it as low as possible for you guys to hear the bike running cool and get your input. I suspect the carbs need a scrub and sync along with valvetrain adjustment. I plan on doing that after the summer though. its running well enough for my needs right now. im not running her hard im basically just cruising. it idles smooth when warm.
there is, however, an acceleration plateau once she hits mid rpm under wot. she keeps wanting to rev but she kind of stops pulling hard after midrange. I hope my clutch is holding! it sputters and seems weak. that's ok though. there's a forum full of xs400 fans who are badass gearheads and with their help I can get this thing pulling hard again. it goes pretty good as it is, so I know there's a lot more anger to be coaxed out. thanks again guys

yeah me too what this mean is both probably did it wrong and need to do it over and get it right this time.I plan on doing that when and if I my bike running again:shrug:

sorry the sound quality is bad and the valve train is noisy. ill have the valves adjusted soon I hope. I checked my new spark plugs yesterday and they are pretty white/clean. so I went to adjust the air screws out 3.5 turns and found them both screwed in! seated in their holes! now that they are 3.5 turns out, it still runs the same but starts easier from cold and idles higher when warm. im estimating 12 or 13 hundred rpm by my ear, maybe even 1500. I cant wait to tear down these carbs and make em right again.
still feeling a lean spot after midrange and up. I was passing my girlfriend( she was doing 80k) I was wot and it sputtered up through the rpms to go faster for a few seconds(hesitating) feels like its loosing forward momentum, until (cough cough grrrr) it seamed to start pulling. it woke up and went by her screaming im alive!
I havnt checked the plugs yet but I hope they are getting darker now. the bike needs, deserves some love.

Thanks for the hopes meathead I need a lot of luck and hope right now.
I would check your plugs after your daily ride to work or a good 25mile ride.that should tell you where ya with your fuel mix,if your close or not.Also I forgot to ask earlier what brand of plugs are you running?

ngk d8ea. I checked the plugs after my two hour ride yesterday and they darkened slightly. I think I should clean the carbs as soon as I get a chance. it was sittin for a year with the fuel in it before I got it. the fuel in the tank was yellow. im surprised it even started! and with the air screws screwed in all the way im really surprised it ran. who knows if these plugs are even the right ones?

Uhg I cant tell you the numbers off the top of my head but my bike had champios in it when I got it,then I switch to hotter NGK plug.Theres a wide variety of topics on the site best advice I can give is search sparkplugs on the site or someone will chime in Im sure.
I still have my old champions that came from the bike and the bike seems to run better.:laugh:
A carb clean is number 1 maintance on these bikes.

Back