Turn Signals act funny after headlight comes on

SeanM222

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Time for another turn signals thread...

I've got a '79 XS400-F, with some aftermarket incandescent turn signals. I noticed that sometimes, with the key in, the right rear turn signal will stay on with a very very dim light. Other than that, the turn signals function normally, but as soon as i crank the engine, the headlight comes on, and both of the right side turn signals turn on and stay on as well (no blinking).

I do have an aftermarket turn signal relay to replace the broken stock one, but everything was working fine a few weeks ago.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sounds like there's a short in the circuit somewhere. First off I'd start with the any aftermarket items possibly in the signals then follow the wiring. You may also have an issue with the turn signal handlebar switch itself. Mine had a broken wire that had to be resoldered.

Do you have the auto canceller installed? If yes, do you also manually disengage the flasher switch or do you leave it on?
Also if yes, remove it.

Do the right lights turn on no matter which way the turn signal switch is turned?
What are the aftermarket bulb wattages and what is the aftermarket relay rated for?

Edit: Is the aftermarket relay installed or just available?

Yeah if you left the stock flasher relay, and stock auto cancel in, and simply hooked up new aftermarket turn bulbs, it won't work properly. You stayed with incandescent bulbs, but they still pull a different load than the stock bulbs causing the same issues as with LED. You need to add resistors (shouldn't take much) or change the bulbs in the housing to match stock.

Or install the new relay you have. This will remove the auto cancel though.

So looks like i figured it out. The right front turn signal wire was connected to the headlight wiring. So whenever the headlight received power it would ad well. Electronics are now all buttoned up! Now... Onto why its not holding an idle anymore....

Back